Stanley Plane Replacement Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
While cleaning up and starting to tune-up three old hand planes, I somehow came up a screw short.

It looks like I can order a a screw replacement kit from Highland Hardware. If I don't find this screw, which I am not very hopeful now.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/benchplanescrewkit.aspx

My questions:

1. Has anyone used these screws and had any issues with them fitting? The lost screw was one of the frog seating screws. I also have an ugly not original tote screw (the short one on the front of the tote), so this kit would get me both screws. Also, I have found a listing for antique stanley replacement parts, but on that price list, just the shirt screw costs as much as the kit from highland hardware.

2. A second question, I know Lie-Nielsen offers a full set of screwdrivers - I think for a standard bench plane the have 5 screwdrivers, A separate one recommended for each screw. What do our plane experts here recommend? I probably need to get at least one screwdriver with a wider blade, but I would think that one of the regular Hardware Store screwdrivers would be fine.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors