Stanley Plane Replacement Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
While cleaning up and starting to tune-up three old hand planes, I somehow came up a screw short.

It looks like I can order a a screw replacement kit from Highland Hardware. If I don't find this screw, which I am not very hopeful now.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/benchplanescrewkit.aspx

My questions:

1. Has anyone used these screws and had any issues with them fitting? The lost screw was one of the frog seating screws. I also have an ugly not original tote screw (the short one on the front of the tote), so this kit would get me both screws. Also, I have found a listing for antique stanley replacement parts, but on that price list, just the shirt screw costs as much as the kit from highland hardware.

2. A second question, I know Lie-Nielsen offers a full set of screwdrivers - I think for a standard bench plane the have 5 screwdrivers, A separate one recommended for each screw. What do our plane experts here recommend? I probably need to get at least one screwdriver with a wider blade, but I would think that one of the regular Hardware Store screwdrivers would be fine.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS