Stanley is buying Black & Decker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, all of the press and info I have seen on the new Delta Unisaw has been positive. It looks to be a well made machine, to quote Delta "it is made in the USA of US and foreign made components", has an excellent riving knife system, and I would not mind having one.

I have the Delta BOSS sander, and although small, it has served me well.

They do make some decent/good tools. The DeWalt 625 router is actually a relabled/rebranded Elu and it is excellent IMO.

They also make some junk, and it equates to some of the stuff that you may get at Harbor Freight. I wonder whatever happened with the battery operated crescent wrenches?

DavidF

New User
David
I'm sorry to confuse you but when i copied the notice I see I left off Nolan's name. But with that I think there are product's from any company that we all like and dislike. There are some from both B&D and Stanley that I won't have in my shop. (again sorry about any confusion)
. Just as well, with all the insults that were being thrown out there..:eusa_naug

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Me again. The insults were not leveled at Nick, nor personal. They were about two mega-corporations merging.

I too thought Nick was becoming the CEO :)

I do lament the loss of the Porter Cable line of tools. They made my favorite corded drill. But, I understand that they would be unlikely to keep both Porter Cable and Dewalt corded drills. And who wouldn't give their right arm for a return of that old Porter Cable worm drive belt sander?

But I digress.

I too have a Workmate. Now, were they to mess with that, then look out!!!

Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
i dare say it might do the CEO's of both of these companies some good to hear/read these complaints/insults.

:no: wouldnt make a difference. look at festool and B&D side by side. festool's plan is build high end and sell high end. they make a profit. B&D on the other hand build low end and sell cheap. they too make a profit. festool sells 100 items and makes 100 dollars per unit. B&D only makes 10 dollars profit per unit BUT they sell 1,000,000 of them. let's face it we woodworkers have a need [want] to buy quality tools. but joe home owner just needs to get this repair done and the 20 dollar drill gets it done for him. he may never use it again and if he does it will likely be out of warranty when it quits so he gets another 20 dollar drill and doesnt worry about it. B&D targets those homeowners needs and as long as they make a profit for the share holders the plan aint gonna change.:wink_smil

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
B&D on the other hand build low end and sell cheap. they too make a profit. festool sells 100 items and makes 100 dollars per unit. B&D only makes 10 dollars profit per unit BUT they sell 1,000,000 of them. let's face it we woodworkers have a need [want] to buy quality tools. but joe home owner just needs to get this repair done and the 20 dollar drill gets it done for him. he may never use it again and if he does it will likely be out of warranty when it quits so he gets another 20 dollar drill and doesnt worry about it. B&D targets those homeowners needs and as long as they make a profit for the share holders the plan aint gonna change.:wink_smil

IIRC someone posted a statement here some months ago saying research showed the average power drill was used by a homeowner <8 hours in its lifetime. Tool manufacturers are 'value engineering' tools for that market - hence, HF.
No doubt the new honchos will eliminate duplicate product lines much like Chrysler & GM had to do. They may even offer some incentives to close out some old lines. I'll be watching to see what falls out.
As for the Workmate, I have one too. The first thing I did with it was take off the PB tops & replace them with PW. Except for the leg hinges giving way so it'll only set up at the lower height (fine for a benchtop TS base), it's still a good tool to have.
I like to see companies trying to maintain a manufacturing base in the US. We can't ALL work in retail or health care. Somebody's gotta MAKE something. Otherwise we'll fall victim to our trade deficit. It may be too late already. Like it or not, the overseas shipping container has been the biggest influence on the US economy of the last 30 years - and they are usually used one way only.
Okay, I'll get off my soap box, now.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I don't think woodworkers ae B&D's target market. Their core business is home handyman and yard tools. Most of their customers, and I speak from experience, would never consider a Festool based on price alone. It's a tough leap to make. I will probably get the Bosch jigasw I had strongly recommended in another thread and it will cost 4 times more than I have ever spent on a jigsaw before. There is still nothing wrong with my $29 Skil; I just understand its limitations, how much it costs to go to the next level and have decided it is worth it to me.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I still think this little black and decker gem is the greatest thing since sliced bread :gar-La;

tylertool_2078_71846212

bpeck

New User
Brian
No insult was meant to anyone personally by my comments. I just don't like companies growing by acquisition rather than actually expanding their market through better products, research, and meeting consumer demand. I have seen far too many quality products go away because a company has bought them out and cheapened the product or simply done away with a good line. I have seen this in tools, food, IT, etc.

I haven't paid much attention to Stanley in years and am glad to hear they are trying to improve their hand tools (I do own and like old Stanley planes and stuff), as for B&D, I buy their disposable yard tools and toaster ovens. I just don't see this merger as necessarily a good move for the consumer, I hope I'm wrong and wish them and those associated with the companies the best.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors