Stanley is buying Black & Decker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Stanley Works is buying rival Black & Decker for $4.5 billion, the new company will be known as Stanley Black & Decker.

Now they will have a big hand tool line among there power tools, what's next ?

Any opinions ?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
with any luck there will be better tools from both but realistically there will be cheaper foriegn made tools, more job losses, and a deeper recession.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Just read the news in the N&O this morning and I must say the two company names sure don't roll off the tongue together very well :swoon:

Roger

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I want them to apply the power wrench technology with the chisel!

Maybe a cordless block plane?

I don't have much of an opinion. Stanley has at least a hundred year history of gobbling up small companies, so to me, this is not really a big change.

What I do like, is things like this open doors for small innovative folks to get to markets that no longer appeal to mega-corps.

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yep, I tried saying the name out loud and it sounds like a law firm :rolf:

No opinion otherwise as I know nothing about the world of business :dontknow:

Roger

bpeck

New User
Brian
I think they aught to call it Stanley & Decker. Sounds like a comedy team which would be appropriate.

I haven't bought any of either company's tools in years, except a Stanley scratch awl that I got for a buck out of an Ace Hardware bargain bin. Premium hand tool makers have taken over that market from Stanley and there are lots of good power tool makers that have pushed out Black & Decker.

At least Stanley didn't buy out a small quality tool maker and ruin their branding or close them down as happens so often these days (particularly in the IT industry).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
At least Stanley didn't buy out a small quality tool maker and ruin their branding or close them down as happens so often these days (particularly in the IT industry).

It hasn't happened yet but just wait, B&D has done a good job of lowering the quality and customer service on Delta. P-C, DeWalt, etc., so I'm sure that they have the talent to kill a small handtool company.

On another hand, I think Jim (Froglips) is right about it opening up opportunities for smaller innovative companies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member

yeah they day you read Stanley bought Lie Nielson is the day you need to worry.

DavidF

New User
David
Are we all not being a bit rude to one of our members that is going to be a big part of this new venture? Where is the respect we were bragging about last week. If Nick wasn't a member it might be different, but he is. Actually those two brands are some of my oldest and most used tools, I have no complaints about either of them

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Are we all not being a bit rude to one of our members that is going to be a big part of this new venture? Where is the respect we were bragging about last week. If Nick wasn't a member it might be different, but he is. Actually those two brands are some of my oldest and most used tools, I have no complaints about either of them

good point, i have a garage full of their combined equipment and it serves me well.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got 2 Stanley routers that are at least 50 years old & they still serve me well. In the B & D Commercial line I've got a Sawcat that is 35 years old & still going as well as a 'Macho III' hammer drill ~25 years old that keeps on going. I think what everyone is complaining about is the 'homeowner' line of tools. The Builder/commercial line of products they sell are on a par with anyone.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I've got 2 Stanley routers that are at least 50 years old & they still serve me well. In the B & D Commercial line I've got a Sawcat that is 35 years old & still going as well as a 'Macho III' hammer drill ~25 years old that keeps on going. I think what everyone is complaining about is the 'homeowner' line of tools. The Builder/commercial line of products they sell are on a par with anyone.

Sure don't have much expirence on either brand and sure dont on the builder/commercial line. I did buy a B&D finish sander and the motor burned up with only about 30 hrs, if that.:eusa_doh:

nelsone

New User
Ed
I just hope these two organizations decide to target people that have more ambition than the lowest common denominator that they have both targeted over the last 20~30 years. Stanley seems to be making efforts with their new hand planes. I was quite worried when B&D picked up Dewalt and Porter Cable. Hopefully those will remain good quality tools.

I understand we have a member that is part of the organization and I wish him the best. I would like to see them improve the quality and reliability of their products.

Things like this make me think they are trying!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

I offered a little humor on the name earlier, but I do think a lot of the two. I have a few Stanley planes, tapes and levels. B&D yard tools, DeWalt router and PC Mag circy saw. Good stuff. IMO, one of B&D's greatest innovations is not a power tool at all and nearly all of us own one or an imitation - the WorkMate.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Actually I think that Nick is retired from the plastics industry and just posted a statement, so ease up. But on the other hand I only have two pieces of B&D equiptment (left) and they are a metal 1hp. router and a professional Worm drive circ. saw and the both work like horses, but being realistic they are almost 30 years old and B&D quality hasn't been up there for the last 20 years. I also have lots of Stanley hand tools, mostly construction, and they have served me very well. So I stand by my statement that I hope Stanley does the controlling otherwise we will see poorer quality tools.

JMTCW

Added: I also have a B&D Workmate that is quality, I bought it for my father in the late 70's, and now I use it.

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
Actually I think that Nick is retired from the plastics industry and just posted a statement, so ease up. But on the other hand I only have two pieces of B&D equiptment (left) and they are a metal 1hp. router and a professional Worm drive circ. saw and the both work like horses, but being realistic they are almost 30 years old and B&D quality hasn't been up there for the last 20 years. I also have lots of Stanley hand tools, mostly construction, and they have served me very well. So I stand by my statement that I hope Stanley does the controlling otherwise we will see poorer quality tools.

JMTCW

From WoodNicks post on the same subject:

"I will become the Executive Chairman of the new company, and John Lundgren, Stanley’s
current Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, will become the President and CEO of Stanley
Black & Decker. We are in the process of identifying the key leaders for the combined
company’s operating units. The new company will be headquartered in New Britain, CT, and
Towson will remain the Power Tools headquarters. "

Unless I am reading this wrong, then Nick is very much still involved.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I'm sorry to confuse you but when i copied the notice I see I left off Nolan's name. But with that I think there are product's from any company that we all like and dislike. There are some from both B&D and Stanley that I won't have in my shop. (again sorry about any confusion)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks Nick,
But I wasn't easily confused. I'll bet that do wish that you had the CEO of B&D's money though:gar-La;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors