Spindle Steady Pre-Flight Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
As started here ... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f32/steady-rest-sneak-peek-21843/

Well, the first fitting of the spindle steady is took place this afternoon! When I get some time, I plan to put it to the test & report back ... but I wanted to share the final product with you. I think it's going to work GREAT! Can't wait!

IMG_0440.JPG

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
BTW ... these will be for sale once we get it worked out. If anyone has any interest, PM me as I'd love to help him build a queue of customers to get some moving. No commitment, just interest is good enough. No price is worked out, but I promise he'll be MUCH cheaper than the $550 ones available on the 'net today!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jeremy,

Looks really good. Like the paint job. Is that "hammered look" paint?

One suggestion to make adjustments tool free, replace the large set screws with ratchet handles or star knobs.

Your friend did a nice job on the construction.

Mike

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Jeremy,

Looks really good. Like the paint job. Is that "hammered look" paint?

One suggestion to make adjustments tool free, replace the large set screws with ratchet handles or star knobs.

Your friend did a nice job on the construction.

Mike

It was powder coated, I believe. I'll have to check with him.

Your suggestion is good (same one I said to my wife when she watched me adjust it! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up). That's a simple fix ... should be able to find some.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I only paid $500 for my lathe, but if you can get down much, much lower than that I would be interested. Looks like it will fit just about any lathe.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I'll keep you all posted on the price he'll ask. He's is looking to make a profit on them, but reassured me that it'll be fair and (in his words) "much less" than the ones of a similar design & material.

I can tell you that if the first one is any measure of the next ... there is no profit to be made if it is any cheaper! Isn't that always the case .... way too many hours to make the math make sense! However, now he's got the pattern and we'll be able to see it in action. Making the next go around makes the most sense as a "batch" of them to reach some economy of scale.

These won't be "cheap" like in Harbor Freight, but for a turner they will be a better price, excellent quality/craftsmanship alternative though. Probably won't be for everybody, as I suspect, but should be a good deal for many.

The creator of it, Wesley, and I are meeting tomorrow to put it thru a run ... and I'll see what he's thinking then. Until then ...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I'll keep you all posted on the price he'll ask. He's is looking to make a profit on them, but reassured me that it'll be fair and (in his words) "much less" than the ones of a similar design & material.

I can tell you that if the first one is any measure of the next ... there is no profit to be made if it is any cheaper! Isn't that always the case .... way too many hours to make the math make sense! However, now he's got the pattern and we'll be able to see it in action. Making the next go around makes the most sense as a "batch" of them to reach some economy of scale.

These won't be "cheap" like in Harbor Freight, but for a turner they will be a better price, excellent quality/craftsmanship alternative though. Probably won't be for everybody, as I suspect, but should be a good deal for many.

The creator of it, Wesley, and I are meeting tomorrow to put it thru a run ... and I'll see what he's thinking then. Until then ...

Thanks Jeremy, I may have to save up my pennies but would like to have one to fit the Shop Fox lathe bed. I can provide measurements of the bed width if needed.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks, Tracy. I "assume" that the gap in the lathe bed is a "standard" size. But maybe for good measure could some of you guys & gals take the measurement there and post it here to see how they compare?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks, Tracy. I "assume" that the gap in the lathe bed is a "standard" size. But maybe for good measure could some of you guys & gals take the measurement there and post it here to see how they compare?

I will measure the gap tomorrow and post it here.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Well, last night I took the steady thru the ringer ... and it worked like a CHARM! Tried it on some spindles, as well as some light hollowing (the best I could do with the tools I have right now). In both cases the chatter/wooble was subdued and I was placed back in control of the cut (scary, I know)! :icon_thum

A couple of design changes that will be considered, if not done, on future ones will be:

- A tool-less, or at least alllen/star style post tightening system
- A smaller plate under the bed (the one on the prototype was too long)

Other than those minor changes, the thing is built awesome. The powder coating is beautiful, and durable. The frame is built from one piece of metal and is super strong (other designs we've seen use a weld instead of using one piece for the arc). the wheels didn't hesitate at full speed (let it run at full speed for a while to see if they would heat up ... nothing).

A few other things he is working on with me ...
- Tailstock swing arm
- Bowl Steady
- Mobility Kit (for any tool really)
- Another flavor of a spindle steady

I'll keep you guys/gals posted ... pretty exciting to me. :eek:ccasion1

DaveD

New User
Dave
One thing you might consider (if you haven't already) is testing the steady rest at its outer limits. Realize this could e a dangerous test.

A big ring implies that I can chuck up a big round (and heavy) piece of wood and carve out the end of it (like a bowl).

If you/he start selling these to people you might want to look into the liability issues if someone does something stupid with it (like a out of balance 12" diameter, 36" long log at high speed) and gets hurt.

Stupid people that get hurt hire stupid lawyers that are in it for the money.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
That is good feedback, Dave, and one to be considered. Not sure how the legal stuff will play out ... that's one that seems ahead of ya, but you don't want behind ya either!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Easy enough to weld stops on the wheel supports so they can't go out beyond a certain point.

If you look at the OneWay web site they list about 5 - 6 different lathe bed sizes for some of their accessories.

Mine is different. I'll measure it tonight. There may be other oddball lathes out there like mine. Having a reasonable source for some of these accessories will be very valuable.

Just one example: the biggest Morse taper I have read on any lathe specs is #2. Mine is #4.

Sometimes it is better to pay full price for a common lathe and have ready access to all the accessories. I have been pretty lucky so far. But I would like to get a few things custom made.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
look snice Jeremy.
How do the wheel sizes compare to those commercially available?
And hardness/softness ?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
look snice Jeremy.
How do the wheel sizes compare to those commercially available?
And hardness/softness ?

Yeah, I am REALLY pleased with it ... so much more than expected. Tonight I actually got to put the Jamison hollowing system to use with it (borrowing it from a friend).

As for the wheels, they are standard rollerblade wheels. We with a "soft" style, but any would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS