Source for picture frame moulding????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald

New User
Gerald
I have two 1/4 inch plate glass mirrors, both are 28" X 32", that I want to frame for use over bathroom vanities. Anyone know of a local source for "reasonable" picture frame moulding in the Raleigh area?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This is quite coincidental, Gerald!!!:eek:

I am right smack in the middle of doing the same thing. LOML has hated the BR mirror since we took up residence here in this place over 25 years ago.

In talking with another great NC Woodworker (Joe Scharle) we decided that we could make a frame for my 28" x 32" mirror that would be acceptable to the LOML.

We used some 4/4 poplar glued up into 1 1/2 x 3" stock blanks and used his tablesaw cove cutting jig and a multi-bead router bit to come up with this profile. (Along with a 3/8" x 3/8" rabbet for the 1/4" mirror.)

Here is a couple of pictures of where I am at (unfinished and then 1 coat of primer and two coats of oil based white paint - Sherwin Williams Extra White.)

(This is the front of frame.)

Oh ya. We used pocket hole joinery for the frame and it is plenty STRONG!

I am hoping that the frame will be dry enough by Friday to mount the mirror.

I think that this method has been a little cheaper than buying frame stock.:dontknow::dontknow:

Let us know how you make out.

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I'll be there this Saturday. I can bring back whatever you might need.
Dave:)

Oh man it is valentine's day this Saturday. I have promised a special day with LOML. Dave, you might want to touch base with Rick as his plans may be pending:dontknow::dontknow:. DAMHIKT:help:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh man it is valentine's day this Saturday. I have promised a special day with LOML. Dave, you might want to touch base with Rick as his plans may be pending:dontknow::dontknow:. DAMHIKT:help:

Already have. My V-day present is the time to drive across the state to get my lathe...without repercussions.

Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Beautiful design and execution Wayne! You and Joe are pretty good
together:thumbs_up

Barbara

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I cant' give you a source but I can tell you that framing "large" mirror / glass peices can cause some problems due to the weight of the project.

I did a framing job for a family member a few years back and i used conventional 45 angled framing technique with reinforcment. During installation, two of the corners failed due to the weight of the mirror.

I went back and remade the frames using a 45 degree half lap technique and the everything worked great. My project was a bit bigger than yours and you might be just fine but I wanted to give out a warning just in case.
mark

KHageman

New User
Ken
There is moulding company in Lexington, NC. They have an outlet store where you can buy moulding at a fraction of what you pay at other places. It is the Picture Frame Outlet, 40 West 12th Street, Lexington, NC 27292. Telephone number is 336 248 2076. And they have everything from the simple to the ornate. You will go nuts in the place. Their moulding is exclusively for framing pictures, mirrors, etc. They do not make moulding for the home. Want a nice 5 inch guilded frame? They will have it.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors