Some more veneer questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Just a couple of general questions for you gurus.

What is your favorite substrate and substrate source?

When doing tabletops etc. at 1.5" or more do you just glue up several 75" boards? What works better for this MDF or ply?

Do you generally use some hardwood for edge work or glue some of the face veneer?

What backer do you recommend for non-show face?

For larger panels, do you guys use all-wood or paper-backed veneers? If paper-backed, how do you deal with the backer veneer and edges?

Anybody use 2-ply? Pros and cons?

If I wanted to use a veneered panel in a frame/panel cabinet door, can I use 1/2" or thinner substrate or or would this warp too badly?

Any other advice for a veneer virgin? Lookin' forward to firing up the venturi press and sliding down yet another slippery slope.

P.S. - Veneer work is $$$!!! Don't tell the wife! I told her it would save money!
Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

Thanks!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Just a couple of general questions for you gurus.

What is your favorite substrate and substrate source?
It depends on the project. MDF is easy to work with because it's so flat and stable.

When doing tabletops etc. at 1.5" or more do you just glue up several 75" boards? What works better for this MDF or ply?
I have glued MDF to a good grade plywood to get the thickness that I want. MDF gives a good surface to veneer to and the PW adds strength. For additional thickness, one can add narrow strips at the perimeter.

Do you generally use some hardwood for edge work or glue some of the face veneer?
You almost always want to add a hardwood edge for durability. I use the same species as the veneer (at least 1/8 thick) and veneer over it. That way if it gets badly dinged, it's less noticeable.

What backer do you recommend for non-show face?
Something low cost. I usually use the same species but in plain sliced.

For larger panels, do you guys use all-wood or paper-backed veneers? If paper-backed, how do you deal with the backer veneer and edges?
The veneer thickness on paperbacked is way to thin to suit me... 010" or less. I never use it where any wear or abuse can happen.

Anybody use 2-ply? Pros and cons?
2 ply is great over plywood since it will prevent telegraphing of the substrate grain. It also gives added strength to fragile veneers like burls.

If I wanted to use a veneered panel in a frame/panel cabinet door, can I use 1/2" or thinner substrate or or would this warp too badly?
MDF in 1/2 or 3/8 would work well.

Any other advice for a veneer virgin? Lookin' forward to firing up the venturi press and sliding down yet another slippery slope.
There is a great video entitled "Working With Veneer" by Darryl Keil. You can borrow my VHS version if you like.
P.S. - Veneer work is $$$!!! Don't tell the wife! I told her it would save money!
Drogar-Laugh%28DBG%29.gif

Thanks!

Good Luck and ask again if you like.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS