Some gifts for my friends up North

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
We have just come back from a trip back up to NH and before we left Carol suggested I might want to turn a few bowls for our friends as gifts.

Here is what "turned" out:

First, a little bowl (6") in QSWO.

The a table centre piece in Cherry with a curly maple band, about 9" dia and 2 1/2" high:

Then I did some "squrning" as is my want....

A small "Bowl" in Maple with a peruvian walnut band, again, designed for a small candle. This looks great with the candle lit as the flames reflect off the inside surfaces - fun to turn as you can imagine! About 4" across the corners and about 4" high.

Thanks for looking and any comments always welcome (don't mention the tail stock hole in the Oak bowl:embaresse

Steve W

New User
Steve
Very nice, David! The walnut and maple contrast nicely.

I think what most of my NH friends want right now, though, is enough warmer weather to melt all the snow they got this year!:rotflm:

A friend in Sandown sent me pics of the snow banks up so high he can't dump any more over the side with his Kubota's front-end loader!

:kermit: Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very beautiful work David, especially the cherry center piece. I also like how you label the wood species on the bottom!

T

toolferone

All very nice, but I love the last one. Very cool!! Tell us more about turning it.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job as usual, David:eusa_clap All are way beyond my skill level:crybaby2:

I especially like the design of the "squrning":rolf:

I also like your signature on the pieces. Did you do it by hand? If so, what type pen/marker?

If you hadn't blabbed, no one would have noticed the [strike]tail stock hole[/strike]...oops:laugh:

DavidF

New User
David
Very nice, David! The walnut and maple contrast nicely.

I think what most of my NH friends want right now, though, is enough warmer weather to melt all the snow they got this year!:rotflm:

A friend in Sandown sent me pics of the snow banks up so high he can't dump any more over the side with his Kubota's front-end loader!

:kermit: Steve

When we left yesterday it was chucking it down with rain and 55 Deg! snow was melting fast. I spent the morning at our old riding instructors farm installing sump pumps to drain the now flooded stalls!! - I don't miss it one bit....

DavidF

New User
David
Great job as usual, David:eusa_clap All are way beyond my skill level:crybaby2:

I especially like the design of the "squrning":rolf:

I also like your signature on the pieces. Did you do it by hand? If so, what type pen/marker?

If you hadn't blabbed, no one would have noticed the [strike]tail stock hole[/strike]...oops:laugh:

Carol wrote on the bottoms with a "sharpie" permanent marker. She does a much nicer job than I ever could.

DavidF

New User
David
All very nice, but I love the last one. Very cool!! Tell us more about turning it.

On that one it was just an idea that sprung from my interest in square edge bowls that turned into a square sided bowl. I had mental picture of what it would look like, but wasn't absolutely positive until it was finished.

It started off as a 6" x 4" square lamination of the maple and walnut. I then glued sacrificial cheeks of just old pine onto the sides, just thick enough so that a circle that just clipped the corners of the maple block was fully enclosed. The original block has to be perfectly square and turned at the exact centre of the block for it to work. The whole thing was then turned round and a spigot made for the chuck on what would be the bottom. Enough material was removed to just expose the corners of the original block. Careful shaping put the walnut band just where I wanted it. I then chucked the piece by the spigot to turn the inside. This was tricky as the walls are steep and in fact under cut to cut into the sacrificial pieces by any amount you want. The bottom quarter and the inside were sanded as you would normally. The sacrificial pieces were then very carefully bandsawn off and the shape of the cutouts and the uprights refined by sanding - lots of sanding! Problems were mainly turning the inside and the chatter that was produced by the different densities of wood. I wanted the finished product to have the grain orientated like a face grained bowl, but the sacrificial blocks were glued on lengthwise - big mistake! Next time I would glue everything in the same grain orientation and use a species that was similar in density to the original block, but different enough that you could see the shape emerging as you cut away the inside. This was a "Brain to tool" project so a few changes next time is inevitable I suppose, but an interesting project none the less.

The best thing is that all the bowls were gratefully accepted by the recipients and that was nice. There you have it; days of heartache in a short paragraph! It was finally finished 2 hours before going into the suitcase.

All the bowls were designed and completed within a week, which was the exact reason for getting into turning - instant gratification!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Great work David. One of these days I'm going to try bowl turning but you are setting the standard very high.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work indeed, David!!!!:eusa_danc:icon_thum:eusa_danc:icon_thum:eusa_danc

I too really like the last bowl with the walnut accent band.

Wayne

DavidF

New User
David
Great work David. One of these days I'm going to try bowl turning but you are setting the standard very high.

I really appreciate the kind words Larry, especially coming from a craftsman like yourself, but I am at the raw beginning of learning to turn, so I hope I will just get better.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Great work David. What part of NH did you visit? I just called my parents on Monday and they were reading in the paper of more roof collapses because of all the snow/ice. My parents are in Pittsfield (just SE of Concord).

Will

DavidF

New User
David
Great work David. What part of NH did you visit? I just called my parents on Monday and they were reading in the paper of more roof collapses because of all the snow/ice. My parents are in Pittsfield (just SE of Concord).

Will

We flew into Pease airport in Portsmouth NH (Skybus, even got a $10 fare!) then visited our old neigbourhood of Fremont and then some woody pals in Kittery and York Maine, just across the border.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Ah I know the area well. I went to UNH in Durham. Spent some time in Portsmouth with friends. Also, when I was showing LOML around my old stomping grounds, I took her shopping at Kittery Trading Post (scored major points there). Then we ate dinner at Newicks near the border at sunset. (Afterwards I made an Ars* out of myself and threw her into the ocean with a velvet dress on)....who knew salt water would have an affect like that on velvet??? :rolf:

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS