Solid cherry chest of drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am going to Danville this week for extra 1/4 inch cherry for my cabinet doors. I would like to price plywood for future chest of drawers. What is normal thickness of side panels for chest? Would 1/4 be too thin, I think 3/4 maybe too thick. Lorraine

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Lorraine, I used frame and panel M&T construction on my bedroom furniture. I used 3/4 cherry ply on the end panels. I cut a 3/8 inch rabbet on the inside edge of the panels and used 3/8 dados in the frames to capture the edges. My rails were 3/4 thick and legs were 1.5 x 1.5 inches.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have done both 1/2 and 3/4 thick. You could glue 2 sheets of 1/4 together to get your thickness up.

Personally, I think 1/4 is too thin.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks guys. I had a full sheet of 3/4 inch cherry but found myself using all of it on my kitchen cabinet remodel. Glad I had it but now I guess I need another sheet. Danville Virginia is a great place for hardwoods. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks guys. I had a full sheet of 3/4 inch cherry but found myself using all of it on my kitchen cabinet remodel. Glad I had it but now I guess I need another sheet. Danville Virginia is a great place for hardwoods. Lorraine

Talking of cherry ply; I am going to need some 1/2" cabinet grade cherry ply for the dust panels in the bedside tables; any good place in the Raleigh and west of raleigh area

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Can't help you there David. Danville, Va is about 2 1/2 hours for me but it is an easy place to get to and there isn't the traffic I would find in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area so I opt for Danville. I could also go to a place north of Richmond, Va that is also easy to get too and is just off I95 but Danville gets my business. I maybe wrong but I figure the prices are probably about the same no matter where you go. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
Can't help you there David. Danville, Va is about 2 1/2 hours for me but it is an easy place to get to and there isn't the traffic I would find in the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area so I opt for Danville. I could also go to a place north of Richmond, Va that is also easy to get too and is just off I95 but Danville gets my business. I maybe wrong but I figure the prices are probably about the same no matter where you go. Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine, I'll check with the "Hardware Store of NC" to see if they do ply. I'm hoping to go there at the W/e to get the rest of the solid stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS