Sockdresser? WIP...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I had a leftover tabletop from my last project so I decided to kick out a little project this weekend. I call it a sockdresser 'cuz I don't know what they're called actually. I'm just waiting for some cool euro knobs and pulls to arrive from Rockler. I'm really starting to get the hang of my cheap-o HVLP and have converted to sprayed shellac and Target USB exclusively. Obviously I like playing with colors and the Trans-Tint is really awesome.
the drawer faces are QS white oak with some awesome fleck. I bookmatched them with my REALLY crappy band saw. I think I MUST have a new one! :gar-Bi
This thing went together in 2 days and I'm really happy with the result as is the LOML. She has already claimed it for her room. Thanks for looking!

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

M

McRabbet

Nice job, Peter -- but you need to tell us more... 1) What's the wood in the top? 2) Am I seeing 4 drawers (Fit looks very good and it is hard to tell!)? 3) What did you use for drawer joinery? 4) Drawer slides? 5) How did you manage to reverse the first image? The Milwaukee case in the background clued me in to that).

By the way -- the finish looks great but you need to dust off that top for your next pics!

pslamp32

New User
Peter
LOL. Man Rob you are extremely perceptive. I noticed after you mentioned it how dusty the tabletop was.

Anyways, the table top is QS oak as well. There are indeed 4 drawers of bookmatched QS oak. The drawer joinery is my one afternoon special, dominoes. The slides are accuglides (sp.?).

One thing I learned on this project...hardware is expensive! Between 4 casters, 4 sets of accuglides and knobs and pulls.......$175!!! :gar-Cr
That doesn't include any wood or other consumables! No wonder I'm always broke!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool project. Is this shop furniture? I ask because of the casters even though you are calling it a sock dresser. Are you using it for socks that go on your feet or socks that go on your planes???:dontknow:

pslamp32

New User
Peter
No it's indoor furniture. I don't even know what it's called actually. I just had some spare time last weekend and decided to build something. I know I've mentioned it before but that's how I operate. No plans, no clue I guess! I just start cutting and the ideas kinda come as I go. I probably waste more time than anyone ever just going back and forth to the hardware store. It seems I never know what I need til I need it. LOL. Kinda frustrating sometimes actually, especially if they don't have something I need.

M

McRabbet

Peter -- we need to talk about where you buy your furniture hardware. I buy from Custom Service Hardware ($50 minimum order) in Wisconsin and I'm certain you could save at least 50% on these items. For example, I buy Accuride-equivalent 100# drawer slides for $5-10 a set (e.g., 16" black are $6.51 a pair), drawer pulls and knobs (good quality) for $3-6 each, and black locking (or non-locking) furniture casters for less than $3 each.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks for the info Rob. I like those drawer slide prices! I paid nearly $17/pair for 12" accurides! The casters and drawer hardware I like are expensive. Don't know why one design is so much more expensive than another when it is made of the same material but oh well. Even on sale I've never seen the casters for less than ~$12 each, the knobs ~$8 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS