small HF tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Here is a picture of a HF tool I made using a long 7/32" allen wrench. It works great on Christmas ornaments and hickory nut HF's. It is only good around 1 1/2" of the rest and then it starts to flex, but for getting the ball of an ornament thin under the rim it is perfect. I heated it with a tourch to bend and then tempered it in oil. It holds an edge good and cost me next to nothing to make.
Jack
100_1242.JPG

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Pardon the ignorance, but around here HF means Harbor Freight. What does your HF mean?:dontknow::help:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Pardon the ignorance, but around here HF means Harbor Freight. What does your HF mean?:dontknow::help:

Hollow Form - Usually a vase or such with the neck smaller than the body and hollow inside.

One of them there "Dark Side" terms.

George

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Can you zoom in on the grind? I have a cheap 12 piece carving chisel set that has a few decent gouges and a few pretty worhless tools - square shafts with really blunt grinds on the end of them. I figured they are blanks. :)

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Jack,

Now that you've cleared up the "HF" question for those of us who have not fallen to the dark side I have another question. How do you chuck up a hickory nut in the lathe? I've got several hickory trees in my yard, I might want to try this.

Rick Doby

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Jack,

Now that you've cleared up the "HF" question for those of us who have not fallen to the dark side I have another question. How do you chuck up a hickory nut in the lathe? I've got several hickory trees in my yard, I might want to try this.

Rick Doby

I am guessing it doesn't involve a vise. :eek: :rolleyes: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

flyrod444

New User
Jack
The hickory nut turning was done by one of my high school students. He used a set of pin jaws on a vicmarc chuck to hold the hickory nuts. Walnuts work will too. Andy, I tried to take a picture of the grind, but it is beyond my camera's ability to focus that close. It is ground like a round nose scraper.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS