Small chest done

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I finally got around to posting (well, taking then posting:eusa_doh:) pictures of the small chest I made last year.

I made it out of Cherry and Poplar I got from Kyle (it's all solid, no plywood). I used Moser's dye stain to even out the color and blend in some mineral stains in the wood. Brushed on shellac, rubbed it out, and used dark wax to finish it off. It's 29" tall by 27" wide.

It was the first time I'd used Cherry and this was a good project for learning new techniques. I cut the drawer dovetails with a hand saw and chisel - it was tricky with the lipped drawer fronts, but they turned out great. The case dovetails were sawn with a bandsaw, used a router to get rid of most of the waste, then cleaned them up with a chisel - only a couple of very small gaps show on the top - the sides are covered up with trim.

I got in to woodworking so I could make some furniture for my house and, with that in mind, this was a pretty satisfying project. I think I'll fill it up with my growing collection of tool owner's manuals.:tool:

J

jeff...

That's Sharp! it almost looks store bought - great Job man you should be proud of yourself

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, I really like that. How large/small is it? (oops, just saw 29" x 27" :eusa_doh:) The proportions are just about perfect for a full size Chippendale chest, even your hardware is in scale.
Excellent work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great job on the chest! The dovetails looked pretty good from what I could see. Nice feet, too. :icon_thum

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Greg, that is a beautiful piece of work, I know you are proud of it. As they told me when I made my first nightstand, you must make a pair. I love to work with walnut as well as cherry, one word of caution, don't place anything on the top for the next month or so. Cherry will darken as a result of sunlight. You will have a mark if you forget and leave something on it. thanks for sharing with us. Lorraine

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Man, that is a beauty!! I only hope that someday I can attain your level of expertise. Great work, Greg.

:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Greg,
Nice job ! I love the looks of classic furniture, and the woods and color round out the whole project.

Jimmy:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Greg, That sure is a nice looking chest. I think I would like to buy it with my cigar/cigarette money that I am gonna save now that I have quit for good, LOL. Great job.

Tracy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Greg!

I really like the finish. Cherry can be tricky. The proportions and acale look right on!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Very, very nice. I really like the finish. I'm almost finished with a cherry curio cabinet and would really be pleased with a finish like that. Good job.:eusa_danc

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's a gorgeous looking chest. From construction to finish, outstanding job.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone. Glad y'all like it.

Before I put on the stain, I brushed on a 1/2lb cut of shellac to help with the blotching. Even with that, it still soaked up enough stain to give it the dark color.

I had wanted to build a bigger chest with quarter columns, but I didn't have a lathe at the time and then decided that that project would be way too advanced for me. I stumbled on the woodworker's edge series and decided this would be a good way to go. I guess it's like the NYW, but with more hand tools. So, JackLeg, my level of expertise was given a head start with their plans and techniques - but thanks for the compliment :icon_thum- even though I still see myself as an novice/intermediate. And bladeburner, I sweat on every pin on those panels.:rolf:

The more projects I do, the more confident I get with my woodworking skills. The project I did after this one (TV credenza), was the first one I designed and built myself. Pictures to follow one of these days :saw:

Last edited:

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
Greg,

Nice work! The dovetails look awesome and the mitered corners on the feet look flawless. The only thing I would have done differently is not used any stain. Cherry darkens over time (patina) on its own (which might also hide the mineral stains). You can speed the process by leaving exposed to sunlight.

Great Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS