small catalpa HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Could be more hollow and better formed and it has no finish yet. I could use some advice on finishing; it is so soft that it is really hard to get it smooth and I fear it will soak most finish up like a sponge.

catalpa_HF.JPG

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Looking good. Seal it with sanding sealer and level it out first, the use your finish of choice. Alternatley you could soak the entire piece in blo for a day or two the dry and buff.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Would SealCoat be a good choice? I don't have very good ventilation and there is living space over the garage, so I mostly use shellac and 100% tung oil. Anyway, I have some SealCoat.

BTW, this is actually my first HF. I got a hollowing tool to try smoothing transitions between step drilling woodwind bores to see if I can get a reasonable taper that way and I figured I should practice first. One thing I found out is that I need to ease the corners on the tool shaft (I got the small Sorby for their interchangeable set and made my own handle) as I widened the hole slightly by scraping with the corners anytime it touched. I used a faceplate and glued a tenon into a piece of hardwood. I think I will take the time to epoxy in the next one; it got a little loose when I was trying to finish up the short neck.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Andy,

Awesome first HF. I don't think I could have done any better.

And Gary...
Hummmm Never tried sanding sealer, Got any pic's before the stain or finish?

And what brand do you like?

Thanks~!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I've been doing some floor stripping and waxing the last few weeks.Been thinking about soaking something in that.:dontknow::icon_scra.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Gary, I am not understanding this:
"could soak the entire piece in blo for a day or two the dry and buff."
What is 'blo'?

Thanks,
Jim Lee

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Gary, I am not understanding this:
"could soak the entire piece in blo for a day or two the dry and buff."
What is 'blo'?

Thanks,
Jim Lee

Boiled Linseed Oil

Andy, that is a nice looking HF. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a finish. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy, I have some MinWax sanding sealer if you want to give it a try. Stop over one night this week if you want to borrow some. I use it on my fret work for a quick natural finish. I have not tried it on turning yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS