Slowing lathe down???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I want to know if anyong know of anyway to slow down a craftsman lathe.... I've put the belt at the slowest speed.... and whan turning a bown it still seems to spin to fast.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I doubt it, but I don't knnow enough about lathes to give an accurate answer.
It would help if you gave us the model number,maybe some pictures of your pulley set up.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Does the motor have a "plate"?
What are the rpms of the motor?
If it says 3450 you can put a slower motor on it..
Remember the slowest speed is with the blet on the smallest pulley on the motor and the largest on the drive spindle.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You could add a jack shaft between the motor and the lathe. A jack shaft is simply two bearings, a shaft, and a stepped pulley. Motor belt goes to largest step, and then smallest step goes to lathe. Should be able to achive about a 50% reduction in speed this way. If you happen to have an old motor laying around, it could be used in place of jack shaft. Just put stepped pulley on it ( no power) and use a jack shaft.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Or put a bigger step pulley on the lathe.
Best I remember, pulley on lathe has indexing pin slots milled into it. Plus cover won't allow larger pulley. I have this same lathe. I bought it from a want ad in paper. When I went to see it, found out that current owner had bought it from one of my friends a couple years earlier. What a hoot!

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
[URL]http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=9252&cat=500&ppuser=966[/URL][img]

from that link go to my photo galerie and you can see another veiw

inside the cove is the origional pully from the motor. shown is a gear down using two pullies on a shaft, one small and one large, the belt is swthced to change speeds

the small pulley is the same size as the one on the motor, giving a 1-1 ratio on this pulley the lathe will have the same speeds as origional, when the belt is switched up to the larger pully speeds are cut in half.

the motor is mounted to a pice of plywood on a hinge so it just rizes a bit when put into "low gear"

total cost was about $50 at the over priced hardware store, you could probaly do it for less at habor freight or some big place.

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
I may be all wet here 8-O
In the photo there appears to be several conjoined pulleys on the motor of varying sizes, somewhat like the pulley setup on a drillpress. The belt appears to be on the largest pulley on the motor which would be the highest speed.

Apologies if I not seeing this right . . . I am not familiar with the lathe. Just looking at the pix.

Roger

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
yeah Roger, that is a picture of the lathe when Jim had it... This is the lathe that Jim gave to me for free.. I'm just trying to figure it out. The reason that I wanted it was so that I could turn bowls on it. I just dont feel safe with it spinning so fast with a odd shaped piece of sweet gum that I found laying in the woods.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
check out the link in m previous post, if the belt is switched up to the large pully the speed is reduced down to where i can put those odd chunks on with no problem

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
That is a great idea Mark.... I'm going to have to go the the hardware store to find all of the stuff that I need.... I have one question about the motor though.... when you want to make the motor go the regular speed on the lathe where do you put the belts????

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
as shown the pully on the shaft is the same sizw as the pully on the motor, in this configuration it would run at it's normal speed. by "shifting" the belt up onto the bigger pulley it reduces the speed.

the step pulley that was origionaly on the motor is under is under the cover on the other end of the shaft so is still have the origion 5 speeds, but i have a high range and a low range

by using the smallest and larhest pully i could find at the hardwar store i am able to step up speeds very smoothly buy running through low range 1-5 and then going through high range 1-5

i have turned some very unbalanced stuff on this lathe witch was not design for it at all out of the factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors