Slightly wormy Oak Burl - FINISHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Some of you may have seen pics of the oak burl I got from a friend of my wife a while back. Well Phillip (ptt49er) and I cut a piece off on Monday night and I decided to try and turn part of it into a pen last night. I've used a lot of thin CA so far and I think I have it pretty well stabilized. Let me know what you think. It should make for an interesting pen. I don't think there is much wood left. :lol:

IMG_0274a.JPG

IMG_0271a.JPG

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: Slightly wormy Oak Burl

Alright Mike, I've got 6 weeks until Joel is due...you've gotta stop tempting me with your lathe!!!! That looks like it's gonna be sweet :eusa_danc

nelsone

New User
Ed

Dang Mike, That looks like it's really gonna turn out sweet! Hope you can get it turned without any problems!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle

When you buy CA from Monty it is less than $3.50 for a 2 ounce bottle.
(16 ounces for about $26.00 delievered)
A piece of wood doesn't come along like that every day.
I have learned not to stabilize wormy or spalted wood with any thing other than CA, the color bleaches out.
Keep doing what you are doing, looking good.

MikeH

New User
Mike

When you buy CA from Monty it is less than $3.50 for a 2 ounce bottle.
(16 ounces for about $26.00 delievered)
A piece of wood doesn't come along like that every day.
I have learned not to stabilize wormy or spalted wood with any thing other than CA, the color bleaches out.
Keep doing what you are doing, looking good.

Thanks Eagle. I hope to finish it tonight.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle

??????????????
Because I use a lot of CA the 2 ounce bottles are a pain to keep up with and the best price I have seen is 6-7 bucks for 2 ounces.
Many may know I was at one time a member of a penturning site.
A few years ago there was a member who handled a "bulk buy" program.
Eventually his time constraints prohibited him from running the buy program.
After a fiasco with someone else running it for a moth and then dropping it, Monty offered to run the bulk buy program as he was already selling CA on his web site.
The nice thing about Monty is his service is a good as his prices.
I normally receive my order in two days.
The other thing I like about Monty his his prices include shipping.
The price you see on his site is the price you pay, no hidden charges.(You can add insurance if you wish)
You can also order extra bottles and caps if you are unlike me and don't save your old ones for refilling.
I break the rules and keep my 16 ounce bottles in the refrigerator after opening them with no ill effects.
I highly reccomend Monty as a supplier.I do also buy glue at other woodworking stores but have found it all "sticks" the same.
I did notice that Klingspoor is now carrying a 4 ounce4 bottle that breaks down to a buck cheaper than 2 2 ounce bottles.
I don't get to Woodcraft often so I cannot offer anyting about their prices.
Here's the link to Monty's site.
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html
(Mods, if it is not proper for me to post this link please remove.
I will forward the source of my CA supplier for anyone who sends me a P.M.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS