Shot through the heart(wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
A while back while introducing Todd (TV) to the wonderful world of turning, we uncovered a unique piece of metal in a chunk of walnut. Well, I finally finished the "bullet" bowl. It was quite a shock to see that shiny spot spinning around when we first found it. I was thinking... man, it'll take me forever to resharpen my gouge. Thankfully, this bullet and the two others in the interior of the bowl are not jacketed, so they turn quite easy. I guess the lead makes this bowl non-food safe :gar-Bi.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wow, that is really wild. And another beautiful bowl. I love the flare of the lip.

I guess the tree died of "lead poisoning" <mafia voice>?

Jim

Glennbear

Glenn
Beautiful looking bowl, but that must have been one really tough walnut tree if it took three .30 caliber rounds to take it down . :rotflm:

dpanda

New User
Dan
That is neat. I had a cherry board with a bullet about that caliper in it. It is surprising to see a shiny piece of metal in your board when it first comes through the planer!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
That is neat. I had a cherry board with a bullet about that caliper in it. It is surprising to see a shiny piece of metal in your board when it first comes through the planer!

surprising doesn't begin to describe it!:nah:

Dragon

New User
David
Nice bowl and the embedded round makes for interesting speculations about how it came to rest there.

I once had a coffee table that I made from a dead 100+ year old oak that I found an old hand-cut iron nail in the the heartwood. It had been in there so long the iron had leached out into the sap and run up and down the tree for so many years it had left a black streak. At first I thought it may have been from a lightening strike or something but when sanding it down I discovered the shiny spot. I finished it with the nail in place and later on it wound up the centerpiece of a friend's abode.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is so cool Bob! :icon_thum Although, if I saw a board with ANY metal in it come through my planer I'd be hopping mad. :kamahlitu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS