Shop door started (clamp garden) *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I did some planing today and almost over filled the bag on my cyclone but caught it before the chips backed up into the filters. Once the first planing was done I started gluing up parts for my shop door. This door will be at the top of the stairs that lead up from the kitchen. It will have a RP lower and divided light upper. I'm using some more of the oak harvested from my lot when they built the house which unfortunately I had milled to 5/4. I want a thicker door so all stiles, rails, and panels will need to be made with two layers of oak.

Question- I had planned to make the doors 1 3/8" thick like the other interior doors in the house but was wondering if I should go a little thicker? Any comments?

Question-2 Anyone try to make a house door with cabinet door router bit set run on both sides? I would use loose tenons or dowels to strengthen the rails.

It looks like clamps are growning up out of my assembly table.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

door-1.JPG

I used almost all my clamps and still didn't have everything glued and clamped- except for two 50's and two 60's, I used every clamp on my rack.
grin.gif
grin.gif

door-2.JPG

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Holy cow Alan, you have clamps everywhere.:lol: I am not sure if your router bit set would work or not but it is certainly worth a try before investing in a set made specifically for full sized doors. With careful set up I am sure you could get it to work. Do you think the profiles will be large enough in scale for a door this size?

D L

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Alan, just keep in mind that all of the off-the-shelf hardware is made for "standard" sizes. Locksets, etc.
Joe

J

jeff...

What you need is a few more clamps on that wood, cause I can still see wood :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If I were going to use a standard stile/rail set then I would have built 2 11/16" doors and glued them back to back. Don't know about doing after the glue up.

J

jeff...

wouldn't QS hold it's shape better, might even eliminate the need to face glue the rails?

Just wondering...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors