Shop door started (clamp garden) *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I did some planing today and almost over filled the bag on my cyclone but caught it before the chips backed up into the filters. Once the first planing was done I started gluing up parts for my shop door. This door will be at the top of the stairs that lead up from the kitchen. It will have a RP lower and divided light upper. I'm using some more of the oak harvested from my lot when they built the house which unfortunately I had milled to 5/4. I want a thicker door so all stiles, rails, and panels will need to be made with two layers of oak.

Question- I had planned to make the doors 1 3/8" thick like the other interior doors in the house but was wondering if I should go a little thicker? Any comments?

Question-2 Anyone try to make a house door with cabinet door router bit set run on both sides? I would use loose tenons or dowels to strengthen the rails.

It looks like clamps are growning up out of my assembly table.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

door-1.JPG

I used almost all my clamps and still didn't have everything glued and clamped- except for two 50's and two 60's, I used every clamp on my rack.
grin.gif
grin.gif

door-2.JPG

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Holy cow Alan, you have clamps everywhere.:lol: I am not sure if your router bit set would work or not but it is certainly worth a try before investing in a set made specifically for full sized doors. With careful set up I am sure you could get it to work. Do you think the profiles will be large enough in scale for a door this size?

D L

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Alan, just keep in mind that all of the off-the-shelf hardware is made for "standard" sizes. Locksets, etc.
Joe

J

jeff...

What you need is a few more clamps on that wood, cause I can still see wood :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If I were going to use a standard stile/rail set then I would have built 2 11/16" doors and glued them back to back. Don't know about doing after the glue up.

J

jeff...

wouldn't QS hold it's shape better, might even eliminate the need to face glue the rails?

Just wondering...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS