Shop Air Cleaner ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Have any of you made you own shop air cleaner rather than buying one similar to one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-1..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B13T714CVKZC20SR1CR

I like the 3 speeds and remote control on this unit, since I will have a tall ceiling space and wouldn't be able to easily reach the unit to change speeds or turn it on/off without using a wall switch.

If you have made your own, would you share some of your thoughts/photos/plans.

I think I have seen plans for building an air cleaner using a squirrel cage blower in a wood working magazine but don't remember which magazine.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I bought an older version of that Jet used, for the reasons you mentioned. The whole design of the system is very simple, but not being very electrically inclined, having the addition of the multi-speeds, remote and timer were an advantage to me.
Although I have found the Jet unit to be so quiet that I always run it on the high speed. But I like to be able to set it to turn off after 2 hours from leaving the shop.
Other than the electronic controls it's a box with a fan in it, and filters....very simple.

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have one of the older JDS air cleaner's w/o the remote control and timer.

My ceiling height is low enough that I just lengthened the on/off pull chain to turn it on and set one of the two speeds. (JDS wanted about $90 to convert it to the newer electronics (remote, timer etc.).

Joe Scharle, here at the site built a cool:cool::cool: air cleaner with a squirrel cage fan. Hopefully he will be along to share some of his ideas.

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I have maybe $30 in this. Paid for switches, castors & grills. I use house filters and the 120V HVAC blower asy was given to me by my HVAC man. They usually have more than they know what to do with.
The box was from scrap. 3 spds and as you can see, the intake is at floor level because dust is heavier than air, after all. The output is directed upwards for circulation and it would create a dust storm if left to blow on the floor. I can rotate the intake toward the dust maker in use and the top & drawer are always useful. You're always welcome to come by for ideas.
Joe

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I built one, and did a post on it way back when. Sized it to use 14x25 high efficiency pleated filters. Two on the intake and one on the exhaust. My advice is to build it light (IE stay away from 3/4" plywood).

I think it does as well or better than the store bought ones. My only regret is I mounted it to the ceiling and I wish I had hung it from chains now. Being screwed to the ceiling it transmits the vibration some.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
NCWoodworker member Don Patterson (Touchwood) built a really nice one in his shop. You might want to send him a PM.

Scott

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mine is an old box fan in a new wooden box with an electrostatic filter on it. It works but the filter needs cleaned a lot. A lot of fine dust in my shop.

Jim

lottathought

New User
Michael
I really liked Joe's setup this weekend.
I REALLY liked the price tag.
Now if I can just find one of those blowers.
So far Craigslist is a bust. :no:

That brings up a good question though...how much air should this thing be pushing?
How powerful of a blower should I be looking at?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I built one similar to Joe's a few months ago. It used a 3 speed blower I got at a garage sale for $5. Filters are in a 'v' behind the blower & it uses 2 - 20 x 20 filters (same size as my house). I used a 3 way switch & have lo & medium speeds. High would be too much for this unit. Had to put a grille on the discharge to provide back pressure to keep the motor from overloading. It has a shelf above, rollers, and the top doubles as an outfeed table. I'll say like Travis, stay away from 3/4" plywood - but it was all I had & it was free! I'll try & post some pics soon.

gator

George
Corporate Member
But I like to be able to set it to turn off after 2 hours from leaving the shop.
Other than the electronic controls it's a box with a fan in it, and filters....very simple.

Dave:)

I made mine from a free squirrel cage fan from the HVAC shop and wired it through a spring loaded wall switch (about $12 from Lowes) that allows me to turn the switch for anything up to 8 hours before shut off or steady on. If you make it portable, you can put the switch on the side of the case and run your power cord from the switch to the wall.

George

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I really liked Joe's setup this weekend.
I REALLY liked the price tag.
Now if I can just find one of those blowers.
So far Craigslist is a bust. :no:

That brings up a good question though...how much air should this thing be pushing?
How powerful of a blower should I be looking at?

Call a couple of Heat & Air contractors. You might get lucky!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Some excellent ideas- not much new to offer but to summarize what I think are right on for a good, inexpensive air cleaner if you don't have the floor space:

- get a salvaged freebie 3 speed blower from your local HVAC guy
- make a light housing, don't use 3/4" ply if it will be ceiling mounted.
- If ceiling mounted, don't mount directly, hang using rubber straps, bungees, shock mounts, etc. to reduce chance of vibration noise.
- Use a mechanical timer instead of a switch to let it run a little after you leave the shop.

A few ideas of my own:

- Check out aftermarket 3 speed fan remote controls (available at Lowes, etc.). If the rating will handle the HVAC blower this gives you remote three speed capability.

- Size it to use available filters- maybe even the pocket filters for the store bought units.

- If you use regular HVAC filters get the washable ones.

Also, as Gotcha6 said, HVAC blowers and DC blowers need some resistance or they can over-speed and burn up the motor.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I gotta do something in my shop. It wasn't so bad when I could keep the windows open and use one fan to blow clean air in and another across the shop to blow air out. After working with the purpleheart tonight, I have a serious sinus headache! I was purple from head to toe when I came in...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If you can't find a rotary switch, just use 3-ways from the BORG like this.

0032.JPG

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I hope you had some sort of mask on...that purple heart is some nasty stuff when it comes to your lungs....

Joe, I really like that roll around design..am looking to build similar. Everybody mentions a "120v" fan...but nobody mentions the CFMs....whats a good "Cubic Foot per Minute" to look for?

I saw some squirrel cage fans down at the Fayetteville "Re-Store"...but they look like they belonged on a 3+ ton unit - i.e. that roll around dust cleaner would become a "chase it down the street with a car" dust cleaner.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
You would be hard pressed to find a hvac blower that was capable of moving enough air. They are sized for houses, you're probably only doing what amounts to a couple of rooms. You'll have plenty of air movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS