shellac sealer versus top coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have used dewaxed shellac for years, mostly as a sealer but also as a top coat sometimes. Recently I was convinced (feel free to offer debate on the point) that for top coats the natural waxy shellac is better and for items that I am trying to finish "traditionally", it is more correct. So I got a pound of waxy flakes and will start using that as top coat on some items. Anyway, is there any reason to still use an initial coat of dewaxed as a sealer if the top coats are going to be waxy shellac?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The first coat of any finish is a "sealer" in that it seals the pores of the wood. Unless you are dealing with a "problem" wood like cedar, there is no value in applying an initial coat of shellac. Shellac containing its natural wax will work just fine as a "sealer" and as follow-on coats.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Thanks. I finish with oil a lot and the value I find there is convenience due to drying times. Shellac dries so fast you barely have to wait between coats. So I usually rub a couple of coats of thinned SealCoat (dewaxed blond premixed to 3# cut; I usually dilute it with alcohol about 1:1 or even thinner) and a coat of oil the first night. After that it is days between additional oil coats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS