sealing turning blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
My son in law has some Pecan that he is cutting up for firewood. Some of the pieces are big enough I figured I could get some turning blanks out of it.

After I saw it into blocks Do I seal it on all sides or just the end grain?

And what product is best for sealing?

Thanks,

Jeff

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
some seal all six sides but it will never dry that way. i seal endgrain [2 sides] only. make sure you remove the pith.:thumbs_up

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
I have to disagree. AnchorSeal will allow moisture out slowly. The point of sealing the blanks is to slow drying because if the block drys too much it will split. By sealing the end grain with two coats and the rest with one you buy yourself a little time.

Anchor Seal or a similar product is the best for sealing wood. If you get some, buy from UC Coatings as it will cost you less than normal retail. Some clubs get together a large order that when divided makes the product even cheaper.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Another thing you need to do is put them in the shade say on the north side of a building or under a pine tree. I also cover mine with a cheap silver tarp to slow down the drying and keep the direct sun from hitting the wood.
Jack

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm disagreeing with Fred (chainsaws at 20 paces Fred?) :)

Dump them in a bucket of ancorseal then fish them out with gloves on ofcourse. Ancorseal does not completely disallow wood from giving up it's moisture but it sure does slow it down alot.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm disagreeing with Fred (chainsaws at 20 paces Fred?) :)

Dump them in a bucket of ancorseal then fish them out with gloves on ofcourse. Ancorseal does not completely disallow wood from giving up it's moisture but it sure does slow it down alot.

no way man.:no: I'm the referee! remember? I dont wanna wait 18 years for them to dry.:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS