Scrap wood mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The handle is walnut - thanks to Kyle
Joint is a tapered mortise with maple wedges.
The head is a piece of zebra wood hollowed out, filled with lead shot and sandwiched between some mahogany.
Another thank you to Mike for the leather on the faces.

Attachments

• Mallet1.jpg
    Mallet1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Mallet2.jpg
    Mallet2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 156

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's beautiful. I really like the look of the wedged M & T joint. As pretty as it is strong.

Dave:)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
More scraps - Walnut and Cocobolo
Yes it's accurate :eusa_danc

Attachments

• Square.jpg
    Square.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 158

Monty

New User
Monty
Those are some seriously nice tools! I'm sure they will give you a lifetime of service - even better since you made them yourself.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

That's a great looking mallet. I don't throw scraps away either... but I haven't been building anything that nice from them. Is the tenon glued or just wedged?

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a beaut Pete! Nice shape to the handle and the wood mix makes it look too good to use :lol:

Roger

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks Guys.

Mike - They're not really needed but if you're interested I have plans for 2 different versions I can send you. Let me know.

Ray - It's wedged and glued

Tom - Very cool turning - One day I'm gonna have to get me one of those spinning things.

Brings up a question - What's the difference between a mallet and a gavel???

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I like the looks of your mallet and have a selection of scrap wood in the shop. (Can't imagine a woodworker without scrap wood.) I am curious about the filling of shot. The plastic (or whatever) mallets I've handled feel and sound as though they are not completely filled. How did you fill yours?
Roy

M

McRabbet

Thanks Guys.

Mike - They're not really needed but if you're interested I have plans for 2 different versions I can send you. Let me know.

Pete -- if the plans are not copyrighted, how about making them available by uploading them to our Download Library. I usually upload scanned files in PDF format, but you'll need Adobe Acrobat for that -- I can do it if you need it done...

Rob

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Brings up a question - What's the difference between a mallet and a gavel???

I dinno.....I name them according to how I plan on using them. I guess since I made that particular mallet/gavel, that makes me the expert on that one and gives me the authority to name it as I feel is best.

At least until 5pm when my wife gets home and corrects me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS