Sawyering last week w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
This month was a sad month. We had to fell a struggling twin white oak that was in our front yard. The good news is that it will live on as lumber one day. Here is a picture of the stack of logs we had for the sawyer.

logs1.jpg

This time I color coded the logs after I Anchorsealed them -
White = white oak, Red = red oak, Black = locust, Green = White oak from tree feller

Here is the setup for the stack.
setup.jpg

I ripped two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood in 3/4" strips for stickers.

It was an exciting couple of days. The base of the white oak tree had metal fencing in it. After ruining three blades, it was dragged off the mill and will become a bench.

bench8.jpg

There was a neat red oak tree that was dead on our driveway for at least a year. It had a beautiful burl.

Before:
logs-burl.jpg

After:
cut-burl.jpg

I have never had a burl cut up before. It was really neat. I'm not sure how it will dry. It had some termites and ants in it so I sprayed it with termite and carpenter ant killer before I stickered it. I also have it separate from the other wood.

Here is a picture of the partial stack. It has some 8/4 white oak, 4/4 cedar and 8/4 red oak.

partial-stack.jpg

We also had a couple of white oak logs cut at 12/4. Here is a picture of that wood.

12-4whiteoak.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed the experience.

Amy

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Amy that's pretty cool. I look forward to seeing how the burl dries. It looks like you have some nice slabs of it there.

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
What's not to like about WOOD??? I agree with Dave, looking forward to seeing the burl. Keep us posted...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice "wooden" documentary:thumbs_up. Looks like you have enough to last you a while. I, like the others am awaiting the burl.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
nice haul!!! I am eager to see how the burl stuff comes out. By the way does anyone know how locust is to work after it is dry?

Jerome

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is some great looking burl and great wood. Like everyone else I can't wait to see how that Burl dries for you. Keep us posted.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good stuff Amy. I like the color coding scheme, I need to do something like that with the dried stuff too :)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Amy, nice score! You ought to end up with some great boards from that pile! That burl is way cool!

Scott

R

rickc

For me it is icing on the cake when I make things out of lumber that came from someplace with special meaning for me. That wood from YOUR front yard will give your projects that little something extra. "You know that oak tree that was in our front yard? Well I made this from it." could well be a part of your future vocabulary!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
and to think most folks would have that hauled to the dump. If people really knew what that had. Oh well.

Amy that is a great bunch of wood. The sad part is I doubt we will see you at any wood runs any time soon.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Wow neato. I am in the process of having some logs milled. If you wouldn't mind me asking, "Approximately how much did it cost you to have that wood milled into those boards shown?"

You can send me a private message if need be.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS