Sawing up some cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing the "old school" circular sawmill in action.:gar-La;

My buddy called me today and said he got a cedar to cut up. I am wanting to do a couple of interior walls of my shop (the bee room portion) in cedar lap/mountain siding. It was a nice log but had been down a little too long. The heart was still ok but making siding out of it didn't work out, the outside had started to rot. We kinda messed up and cut most of it thin (1/2") but did get one good 8/4 board out of it as well.

Anyway thought some might find it interesting. I'm sure I could arrange for some time at the mill if a shop crawl ever comes out this way. :wsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJt3PlDvlTY

Sorry for the poor quality, only thing I had with me was my blackberry.

Dan

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I had a friend (since passed away) who had one just like that. The first time he showed me it I got to looking around and above the saw are all these holes in the tin roof. I asked him what cased them he said nails, when that blade hits tramp steel in a log the teeth shoot off the blade like a bullet out of a gun :eek:. You are brave my friend to run that sawmill.

mxracer

New User
Dan
There are a few holes in that roof as well :gar-Bi

Just last fall we were running a full crew, Bill my buddy was the sawyer, his two sons were working the carriage and I was off bearing. Plus we had a few spectators. We were cutting 20' logs for a while then droped to 10'. So went from 4 dogs to 3. One of the guys working the carriage forgot to retract the last dog and POW... blade hit the dog and about 7 teeth and rings went flying. The sawyer got one in the leg, bruise not puncture luckily and all the others went up.

They are dangerous, but (knock on wood) I have been around them most of my life and have not gotten hurt yet. It is one of those things though that as soon as you don't pay attention to it as you should it can go really wrong real fast.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that mill is almost identical to my granfathers mill that I worked and played in from the time I could walk.:gar-Bi thanks for the memories!:icon_thum I worked there every weekend for all my school years. every saterday he would pick me up at 4;30 am and we would head to the mill. 5 gallons of gas got us to lunch time. a can of sardines and a pack of crackers and a touch up of the teeth. then another 5'er of gas and when we run out of gas it was ttime to head home.:gar-Cr and yeh trash in the logs was scary!:elvis: I remember one time we hit an old musket. ruined a 60" blade and grand dad was hot. he almost never got hot. think I'll give him a call saturday just to say hi!:icon_thum

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
We use to run a big Circle mill on a 350 horse truck engine. When it throws a tooth or a chunk of wood look out. It has been sold 10 years now. Thanks but i will stick to my Woodmizer ;)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow - look at the handsets on that carriage! That's an old one, for sure.

I spent some time off-bearing from an old Frick mill. Sawmill safety standards have definitely improved in the last 30 years.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Dan what part of Lincoln Co. you in. I'm down in Lucia.Mabe we could get together sometime.Wouldn't mind checking that monster out.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Dan what part of Lincoln Co. you in. I'm down in Lucia.Mabe we could get together sometime.Wouldn't mind checking that monster out.

You're only about 25 miles from me. I'm right off exit 28 on 321 behind the Lincoln Co. industrial park. The mill is only another 10 min "over the road" as my buddy says. :wsmile:
I'm sure we can dig up a log or two if you want to "work" while you are here too. :gar-Bi
We can check out my neighbor's mill as well. We are not done setting it up yet, still building the shed over it, but he's got a couple 0 Fricks over there we can check out too.

Shoot me a PM with your info or let me know if you'd rather me give you my number and we can work it out.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS