Sawdust sighting in my shop today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

Folks it is true. I made saw dust today on a actual project.

bed%20clamps.jpg

This is the makings of a toddler bed for Sophie. I borrowed the idea from a store (shhh). I think I got the bottom piece scaled wrong. Oh well, maybe it will look different when painted (yes I said painted) to match the other furniture in the room.

Here is a pic of the original.

04-29-06_1246.jpg

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/toddler%20bed.htm (more pics)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Tom,

That's a very cool bed. Sophie will love it.

Was that an apologetic sound that came with the comment on painted furniture? It's one of the perfect finishes listed in Taunton's "Finishing & Refinishing Furniture". Last two cases I made (DVD racks for my kids) were painted (client request)... but then, they are teenagers.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very cool Tom! The shop time must have been a father's day present. I was awarded with a few hours myself last night.

sapwood

New User
Roger
What a daddy won't do for his beautiful daughter! Can't wait to see a pix of Sophie framed by the bed :icon_thum

Sapwood

T

toolferone

Ray Martin said:
Tom,
Was that an apologetic sound that came with the comment on painted furniture? Ray

No apologies, but some woodworkers think painting should be used on MDF. All kidding aside. We have all heard stories of some beautiful piece of cherry/walnut/mahogany covered in paint.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, that is coming along nicely. Now I can picture what you were describing to me. I'll have to make sure that neither of the LOMLs see that or I'll be asking you for the dimensions.
Dave:)

T

toolferone

erasmussen said:
what wood did you use being it will be painted?

It is wormy maple /Ambrosia maple It is a soft maple that is cheaper then soft or hard maple. I just have some beetle holes to fill in before painting. I could have used poplar, but it was softer then I wanted. I am hoping it will be around for awhile.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Tom, that is a great looking bed and you did an excellent job borrowing the idea.:icon_thum I am currently working on a corner TV cabinet that will be painted (by request) also. What type of paint are you planing to use and how are you going to apply it?

D L

cskipper

Cathy
I'm sure that Sophie will love it! There are times when painting a piece is perfectly appropriate. Glad you got the shop time.

T

toolferone

D L Ames said:
What type of paint are you planing to use and how are you going to apply it?
D L

I am going to cheat a little. I have a friend who has a cabinet shop and a large spray booth. We will spray a white catalyzed lacquer. It goes on fast and dries very hard. It is good to have friends.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
toolferone said:
I am going to cheat a little. I have a friend who has a cabinet shop and a large spray booth. We will spray a white catalyzed lacquer. It goes on fast and dries very hard. It is good to have friends.

Thanks Tom. Obviously catalyzed lacquer is not something to be spraying without the proper equipment. I'll probably go the latex enamel route for my project unless someone can recommend another option that I can still apply here in the shop.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, Tom the headboard/footboard panels look beautiful. I like your rendition of the photo.:icon_thum

I believe painting the bed white will be perfect for a girl's bedroom, particularly given the professional job you will get using your friend's equipment.

Chuck

T

toolferone

D L Ames said:
I'll probably go the latex enamel route for my project unless someone can recommend another option that I can still apply here in the shop.
D L

Make sure it is acrylic and NOT WALL paint and use a good primer. Oil based is even better, but messy clean up. (mineral spirts)

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
You might want to not fill the worm holes and paint it with milk paint. Personally, I love the old / distressed / antiqued look and I think that might give you something really nice.

Disclaimer - I have never used milk paint:eusa_whis, but I have seen some really cool stuff done with it (kind of like - I'm not a woodworker, but I play one on TV)

Besides, you can then skip all that filling / sanding!:-D

T

toolferone

Matt all that sounds great, but we are matching other furniture in the room. So painted white it is; says SWMBO

Matt said:
You might want to not fill the worm holes and paint it with milk paint. Personally, I love the old / distressed / antiqued look and I think that might give you something really nice.

Disclaimer - I have never used milk paint:eusa_whis, but I have seen some really cool stuff done with it (kind of like - I'm not a woodworker, but I play one on TV)

Besides, you can then skip all that filling / sanding!:-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Smart men, and they say we are the dumber of the species. I think not, we know how to obey when necessary :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS