Sanding on the Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I turn long spindles on my lathe and use a mandrel. When sanding I usually use my sorby sandmaster but sometimes use long strips....Also should I have a "dont touch the wood approach" to sanding and not ever touch the wood when it is turning? Or how do others of you sand ????thanks

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When sanding spindles on the lathe, I usually fold a half sheet of sandpaper several times and hold it against the wood. Folding it several times makes it thicker and keeps the heat away from my hands longer. For fine details, I sometimes use a thin strip to get into tight places. I generally work my way through either 280 or 320 grit and 0000 steel wool. Between the last two grits, I often wet the wood to raise the grain. I also reverse my lathe and sand the opposite direction each time I change grits.

As for touching the wood w/ your bare hand, I try not to but only because it gets too hot to touch. As long as it's smooth, it usually isn't a problem.

I don't know if this is the right way; just the way I've always done it.

Bill

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i'm no expert for sure, but i've always sanded with strips and applied pressure with my fingers. once it's smooth i've used my hands to clear off dust and see how it looks. my lathe doesn't reverse.

the other day on a bowl i wanted to rush it, so i tried using some shelf padding i had laying around the garage and it worked really well to keep my fingers cool and the sand paper got real hot. but my fingers stayed cool. i sanded the bowl in about 1/2 the time.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I sand at about 500 rpm with strips from Klingspor's folded at least double. The smaller the diameter, the faster the rpm. Surface speed is what counts. At the end of each grit, stop the lathe and sand lengthwise to kill concentric scratches. Sand by hand until surface becomes cloudy. Between every grit I blow off my hands, the piece, and anything else. I sand to at least 600, the wood starts to shine without a finish.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I always sand at the slowest speed the lathe will run,you can actualy burn sanding scratches in the wood by running the lathe to fast and always use a light touch,letting the sandpaper do the work.I use non scratch sanding abrasives as a backup with the sandpaper.It helps keep the sandpaper cool and helps hold it better.

sawduster

New User
Robert
+1 on sanding slow and lightly :icon_thum i am far from an expert but have had some success mostly through trial-and-error . I sand long-ways at the end of each grit with the lathe stopped to remove the lines as aplpickr noted . The I use DNA to clean before moving on to the next grit
Personally , I only fold my sand paper once because I want to feel how much heat I am generating. This forces me to be less aggressive in my sanding as I have often had the heat build-up crack my piece :BangHead:
I am fortunate enough to have a reversible lathe and also use that on each grit

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
When sanding spindles I don't use the slowest speed, but I try to avoid building up too much heat which may cause cracks or burnish the wood. I use Klingspor paper (the gold or green because it is more flexible unless it's a long straight piece). I only fold it over once. I pinch the sandpaper between my fingers and the workpiece. If you get too much heat for your fingers to be comfortable with two thicknesses of sandpaper you are risking damaging your work. You can either slow down the lathe or use less pressure. If you fold your sandpaper more than three times (two folds, three thicknesses) you have grits rubbing against grits on the inside folds so you are dulling your sandpaper before you even get to use it. Sanding with the grain between grits, cleaning the work thoroughly between grits, and reversing the lathe between grits if possible are all excellent practices.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That must be an awfully big spindle if you have to stand on the lathe to make it...

Oh wait, you said sand on the lathe, nevermind...

I use a small sponge to back the sand paper not so much to keep the heat off my fingers but to help conform to the shape of the spindle. Light and slow as so many have said already. But I try to only use 100 and then 220, then I apply a coat of finish, let it dry and sand one more time with 400. another coat of finish and I'm done.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
well i reckon i'll slow my lathe down to sand then.

not the first time i've found out i was doing something all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS