sanding cutting boards

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Started to steal Davids thread but figured it was better to start my own.

What is your final grit for sanding cutting boards? Do you wet and sand the boards before final grit? Do you sand between coats of finish?

I have tried tung oil, thinned tung oil and Walrus Oil. I am not happy with any of the three. I know there are a lot of threads about finishing cutting boards but thought I would ask again for suggestions other than the 3 I have tried.

One of the issues II have with tung oil is I can see bright spots which will not rub out. Is this because I am doing or not doing something right?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I sand to 320 then wash the board in clean water, let dry then either sand with 400 or scrape with a very sharp card scraper. If I use the card scraper I immediately oil with flax seed oil. If I sand then I wash with clean water again, let dry and check to see if the grain raised. If it is fuzzy at all I sand again with 400. Then oil.

Bill J

Bill
User
Similarly, I sand to 220. wash the board and then sand to 400. I have a mineral oil bath that soak the board in for 20 minutes (you can also just wipe on mineral oil with a cloth) and then a final coat of beeswax diluted in mineral oil. lots of polishing with a rag. I've never tried a scraper!

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I create my own board oil with a cut of beeswax and mineral oil mixed at 4:1 ratio per the below article. Wipe it on, wait 15 minutes and wipe it off. Easy peasy. I use it for wooden handle grill tools as well.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Sand mine 220 and then wipe with a wet cloth. Let it dry and scuff sand very lightly with 400.

Use mineral oil and wipe it in generously. During use, I have to do few more mineral oil wipes, but eventually it seems to become saturated with no more attention needed.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Sand with 320, wet with water, sand 400 next day.
Use beeswax and food grade mineral oil that I combine
Apply to cutting board as a paste wearing nitrile gloves
Heat with a heat gun and rub melted paste into the wood with gloved fingers (can get very warm on fingers)
Leave overnight and polish off excess with two rags, paper towels, etc. One rag for the first heavy buildup and the second to polish
Very easy to do and turns out nicely.
I tried such things as butcher block oil years ago and didn't like the smell, even turn the board over after a few days
and the smell was worse.
Good Luck

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I am assuming it is an end grain board. Bread and cheese cutting boards typically not end grain. With that said we typically start at 80 grit and take it to 220 using finishing sander, orbital sander and at 180 wet the board and when dry start at 180 then 220. Wipe it down with mineral spirits and finish with Odies oil. Show us some pics when you finish!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors