Sam Maloof Rocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
This was my second attempt. Made from a maple I cut about 3 yrs. ago. !/3 Tung oil, 1/3 BLO, 1/3 varnish. The last coat replaced the varnish in the mixture with bees wax. Took a lot of elbow grease to rub out that wax!
00127.JPG

View image in gallery

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Nice Job! I have built two of these and several other Maloof pieces. It provides a lot of satisfaction to complete one of these pieces after investing a hundred or so hours.

If you have not tried the side chair, it is also fun to build, only takes about 20-25 bf of lumber and sits very well. The Scott Morrison plans are excellent.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thanks for all the praises! I'm thinking of making another one with some walnut I'm drying. I need to wait a month or 2 for the ache in my fingers and hands to go away. All that sanding and rubbing is starting to catch up with me:(

joec

joe
User
I am about 2/3 the way through the woodworking/assembly part of my first rocker. So far so good, but am starting to sweat the shaping, sanding and finish work as that seems to be the tough part.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
William, the rocker looks great from what we can tell from ONE STINKING PICTURE ! ! ! Come on man, post them up and lets see them. :D R.K.

joec

joe
User
Anyone know anybody that has built one using the Brock plans? I am stumped with one area. He calls for 90 degree holes pre-drilled in the seat at pre-determined spacing and also 90 degree holes, with slightly wider spacing in the bottom of the head rest. With the spacing different, I do not see how the spindle can possibly fit in 90 degree holes. The spindle has a curve back to the spindles, so that possibly could get it close, but 90 degrees..... cannot see it.

truckjohn

New User
John
Well - the splats are flexible, and curved, and the line of holes that on the seat and head rest are both curved... I would try just drilling the holes to plan and see how everything lines up.... If it is correctly drawn - it should all line up.

Thanks

joec

joe
User
I emailed Charles Brock and he responded. We talked about 30 minutes this morning. He designed the spindles so that the front edge of the curve, once the spindles are turned to align with the arc of the headrest, intersects the headrest at at right angle. I know I will have to sharpen the ends that are not seen, like a pencil to make it work, but at least I know I am heading in the right direction. I had the headrest up on my new Inca drill press table and could not make myself drill the holes. Now I have drilled them and will figure it all out down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS