Router plate rings.... got lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyedeagle

New User
Palmer
Ok I've been using my table for sometime and its never happened. I have a generic 1/4 think phenolic router plate and I had made the center rings out of some G-10 (fiberglass board) that fit flush with the top of the plate. They basically set in the inset of the plate. I guess MOST of the time.. I had at least part of the fence over the rings but today I had a 1/2" flush bit with a bearing on top so I didn't need the fence. Well just as soon as I started up the vac system and the router, the router came up to speed and before I could get my piece of wood down on the table, the fan on the router must had enough force to push the ring out of the opening ( the ring only had about a 1/8th gap around the bit) catching the bit and it came my way and only caught me in the right hand across the fingers. Slight cut due to the sharp edges on the ring and the speed at which it came out. Router set on almost max speed so I'm guessing 20,000 rpms.
Lucky is all I can say...and that I'm now surprised it hadn't happened before.
No better reason to wait till my new Woodpecker plate shows up on thursday...with the lock-in ring system.
Now I'm thinking about that spring washer to help hold the brass guides in place and keep the nut from vibrating loose.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Glad the damage wasn't worse, Palmer. Of course you had all the appropriate saftety gear on, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS