Roubo Workbench - More Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Final fitting of the legs and stretchers - Take 2.

Bench152.jpg

View image in gallery

How we got there from the last update.

First we used the Mortising Attachment for the drill press to make the mortises in the legs.

Bench144.jpg

View image in gallery
Bench142.jpg

View image in gallery[/center]

After that was done and the Mortise for the Vise Pivot was hollowed, I used the 2-5/8" Forstner bit to make the through hole for the face vise screw.

Then we began work on the tenons for the stretchers. These I did with a Dado set on the table saw.

During Take 1 of fitting the stretchers, I discovered one short stretcher was about 1/2" too long and the other had been cut over an inch too long (Must have cut on the wrong line there, geesh.) No worries, long is good, you can always shorten. They fit perfectly now.

But I made the mistake of trying to measure the finished length of the long stretchers before properly seating the short ones. I measured them to be 1" too long and trimmed them. Well that was a mistake. They were really only about 1/2" long and now just will not work without serious gaps. I had some maple in 2-1/8" width not the 2-1/2" I used for the original stretchers so re-made the long ones to the correct size with the slightly thinner, slightly darker, wood.

Everything fits great now, but that was a bad day when I realized the stretchers were going to be a tad short. Need to slow down some days and double, triple check things.

I need to drill the holes for the pins and plane everything smooth and make sure I'm ready for the final glue up of the legs and stretchers. I have some epoxy with a 40 minute open time. I hope that's enough.

- Ken.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ken,
I am not seeing the pics:dontknow:...(I am really looking forward to seeing your progress).

Donn

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Still having problems getting pics in the messages. Got them in there now, but they came out tiny. Need to go back and look at the instructions for adding pics again.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Seems to be a problem with the new FireFox browser. Won't work in IE8 either. I click on a picture and nothing happens. Had to drag the small ones in there.

Got it. Had to download Chrome to get it to work.

ehpoole

Ethan
Seems to be a problem with the new FireFox browser. Won't work in IE8 either. I click on a picture and nothing happens. Had to drag the small ones in there.

The problem is that all of the photos are linked back to OUR personal image photos. In other words, if I click on one of the photos above I will not receive the enlarged photo rather I will instead be directed to my own personal image gallery (and if a viewing user has no gallery, then its a link to nothing).

I prefer to attach images by viewing the desired image from my gallery and then copying and pasting the URL (located at the botom of the image screen) for the "Best Size" option and pasting that URL into the image URL available when you click the 'image' button during composure. Then you will have a resizable inline image that always points to the proper URL whether that URL is the NCWW photo gallery or your personal website (or a third party site). I have not bothered to try any of the other approaches since this works more reliably for me.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I don't know how you're doing it, but I'm using FF4 and having no troubles:

"First we used the Mortising Attachment for the drill press to make the mortises in the legs."

Bench144.jpg

"After that was done and the Mortise for the Vise Pivot was hollowed, I used the 2-5/8" Forstner bit to make the through hole for the face vise screw."

Bench150.jpg

Bench149.jpg

"Then we began work on the tenons for the stretchers. These I did with a Dado set on the table saw."

Bench148.jpg

Bench147.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could not get it to work with FF4.0.1 or IE8, but once I downloaded Chrome it worked fine. I was clicking on the photos in the gallery window that opened and nothing was inserted. It is fixed now though. Could be the security policy on this old XP box I'm using or who knows what else.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The bench is coming along good, Ken. :icon_thum Thanks for sharing the step-by-step w/ us. No problems viewing the pics w/ FF4.

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, the picture problem is solved now.

I was having a little problem with the traveler vise binding slightly and I spent some time the other day taking it apart one more time. With a combination of some additional shimming and moderate application of white lithium grease in the guide rails it is working much smother now.

I'm going to have to cut about 6" off the front vise screw in order to make it fit correctly. It's either that or cut a hole in the back leg. I don't think I want a big (2-5/8") hole in both left side legs as that might weaken them too much. I just hate to cut that beautiful wooden screw cause it's so purty. But I guess too that I will not likely have a need to clamp anything that's 2 foot wide horizontally either.

I'll probably cut it with the carcass saw and use the belt sander to taper the end like the original is shaped. Want to use a hand saw and go slowly on that piece.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I cut some 5" x 3/8" x 3/8" pieces of Maple on the band saw from one of the scrap pieces and spent some time making dowels for the drawbore pegs. My arm is sore from all the hammering.

The wooden thingy on my old built-in workbench here is a dowel sharpener. Works great. Just keep your thumb away from that little bit of blade that sticks out from the edge.

Since then I've been working on planing / sanding the legs and crosspieces getting ready for the final assembly. I decided some of the tearout problems I was having were due to a need to sharpen my plane irons. So we're taking time out to sharpen now. Working much smoother now.

- Ken.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am getting ready to do this as well. I will need 24+ spares and I don't have a dowel plate! It took a couple minutes to one on the lathe. A little time consuming and inaccurate but it will have to do :).

Good luck with your assembly!
Salem

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am getting ready to do this as well. I will need 24+ spares and I don't have a dowel plate! It took a couple minutes to one on the lathe. A little time consuming and inaccurate but it will have to do :).

Good luck with your assembly!
Salem

Hey, I'm just down the road. Let me know if you want to borrow the dowel plate. It's not like I use it every day.

Luck with yours as well.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
One step forward and two steps back. On getting ready to glue up the undercarriage and get ready to assemble the bench I discovered my measurements keep being a little off. I finally figured out that it is not that I can't measure accurately but that the top is moving on me as it dries further.

In particular, one of the legs is getting really splayed out as the slab is getting a little bowed at that end of the bench. I'm going to have to re-square that edge of the bench and adjust the mortise for that leg before I can finally glue everything up.

After reading the Soul of a Tree I decided to put some butterfly wedges into the bottom of the bench slab where it is splitting to stop it moving any further. Also the end of the bench with the end-cap for the traveler vise is not bowing as much as the other end, so I've decided I need to make an end-cap for the other end as well. This will have the additional advantage of covering the end-grain on that end of the bench as well.

There are pros and cons of having a single large slab for a bench top. I seem to be running into the cons lately. Just need to step back and fix things right before proceeding.

More pictures soon.

- Ken.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ken, that slab is awesome. If you can ever get it to stop moving it will all be worth it :).
Good luck!
Salem

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stop the movement!

After reading Nakashima's "The Soul of a Tree" I was inspired by him to use some butterfly wedges to stop the bottom side of the workbench slab from moving quite so much. The splits or checks, despite having been filled with apoxy + black dye, kept widening on me.

This seems to have worked well.

I cut the butterflies on the band saw from some straight grain hard maple and made them about a half inch thick.

I used my trim router and a 1/8" straight bit to mortise out the pattern in the slab keeping away from the outline I traced around the key. I used a chisel to finish the edges.

Glued the keys in place and sanded them flush.

The end cap on this end of the bench to support the traveler vise seems to be helping to keep that end from warping as badly as the other end.

So I've decided that I should put an end-cap on the other end as well. I think it will look more finished that way as well as providing additional stability to the wood.

More pictures tomorrow I hope.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS