Rigid R2720 Belt Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Ok, my neighbor wasn't home to borrow his belt sander :eusa_doh:, so I went to Home Depot and bought the Rigid R2720 belt sander. I fired up my new toy over the weekend and here are my thoughts:

DETAILS: Variable speed (800-1500fpm), 3x21" belt, 10A motor.

PROS: Variable speed, adjustable front handle, free tool bag, free 1/4 sheet sander (w/ current special from Rigid), lifetime warranty, long cord.

CONS: Trigger lock button is inconveniently placed, dust collection literally blows (dust all over you), front handle adjustment could be easier to use.

PURCHASE AGAIN: Yes.

COMMENTS: Setting the sander up is pretty easy (it should be!). You just have to attach the front handle and dust bag. The front handle slides on and is secured by a screw that fits between notches in the front of the sander. This is a bit of a pain, because the handle wants to jump forward or backward from the groove. However, with minor convincing you can get it into place. I set the handle in a comfortable position and don't foresee a need to move it again. Thumbs up for the giving us an adjustable handle, thumbs down on how they implement it. The dust bag simply pushes into place.

Running the sander is straight forward. The variable speed is located at the top of the D handle and is easily accessed.

The sander has plenty of power and does it's job just fine. I wore ear plugs (as I do with most all power tools), but would probably rate the noise level typical for a tool like this.

I found the trigger lock inconvenient to access. It rests inside a cylindrical protrusion on the handle. So, you need to get a thumb or finger close to perpendicular to the handle to push and activate it. Smaller hand sizes may not find this an issue (I typically wear medium or large gloves, FYI). Anyway, the design meant I had to either contort my thumb unconfortably or rotate my hand. Either way, it does not allow you to just push the trigger lock while comfortably running the sander.

I also found that dust blew out of EVERY vent in the thing. You do not want to put your head beside either side of this thing (don't ask:eusa_whis) when it is running or you will have saw dust in your eyes, ears, nose, etc. Prior to purchasing this sander I borrowed a neighbor's Black and Decker a few times and did not have nearly the dusting on the non-bag side that this thing exhibited (I didn't try sticking my face on the bag side after I finally cleared my orifices). It should be noted that the bag was NOT clogged and this happened from the moment I started it up. When I was done, saw dust was caked around the motor vents on both sides of the thing. I do wonder how this will impact long term reliability, but they did say it has a lifetime warranty...

The cord is great. I plugged it into an extension cord (after plenty of experience with unreasonably short cords on so many tools) and quickly found I didn't have to. A minor thing, but why can't every company spend the extra 15 cents to give us a decent cord length. The little light in the plug to let you know you have a hot circuit is kind of a gimmick. Clearly visible in the garage, it was overcome easily by sunlight. Nice thought though, in the interest of safety.

The belt sander was part of a current promotion by Rigid where they include a free 1/4 sheet sander and tool bag. The tool bag appears to be pretty durable and fits the sander nicely.

The 1/4 sheet sander is comfortable in my hand, works great, and also has a nice long cord.

Hope this is useful to anyone considering a belt sander.

Monty

New User
Monty
Cool! Sounds like a pretty decent new goody ya got there! I'm glad you posted a review.

So... watcha makin'?!?!? :mrgreen:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for the review Matt! I am curious to know how heavy is it? I have a Crapsman 3x21 "professional" and I find it pretty heavy for a belt sander! (This old man wouldn't want to have to run it all day long!:-( )

Thanks again. Sounds like you got a good deal!

Wayne

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I think the box said it weighed about 7lbs. My highly calibrated arm says that 5lbs maybe a little more sounds right.

I didn't find the weight to be an issue and it certainly has enough to load the belt against the surface and remove some material!:icon_thum

Monty - I'm making a case for my Dad to hold my Grandfather's flag. I fear that this is going to be a more and more popular project with woodworkers. They told us at the funeral that they have to play a pre-recorded taps at many funerals because they don't have enough buglers with all the WWII Vets passing away... Anyway, I will get my Dad to send a pic with the flag installed and will post it for all to critique. Of course, this project would have gone smoother with a well polished table saw (I am counting down:eusa_danc)...

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Matt,

Belt sanders are very useful tools. However, it does take some time to get use to using one.

Here is one of my belt sanders, and the dust collection on this one is excellent. I have used belt sanders for over 20 years, and hands down this is the best.

07-26-20042.JPG

PC still makes the "ole freight train" sander, the bad news is they stop making the model with dust collection a couple of years ago.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the purchase Matt. Nice of you to post the concise, but comprehensive review. Most of us hate dust, but a belt sander is a "must have" tool. :icon_thum

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a monster belt sander. I looked at it originally, and went with the 3x21 model as I did not believe I could control that big, heavy beast! Hard to believe they stopped making the one with dust collection. Seems a bit wierd.

M

McRabbet

Are you guys forecasting an East on West Challenge -- NC Woodworkers taking on the Best of the West? And where was the penguin to monitor the finish line? Great video -- :rolf:

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I hear Matt Kenseth's DeWalt sander is the fastest of them all! :lol:

Edit:
Wow, not a fan of NASCAR (sorry), and I got that one right without checking first! (did check after, tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS