Right height

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Turners - what do you recommend for the right height for turning on your lathe - Scroll saws should be at elbow height - is that about right for the lathe

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

New User
Rob
Re: Right hight

That's what I've read, the spindle should hit about your elbow. I've never actually measured mine though.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Good question Phillip. I will have to watch this thread. I now have turner's elbow (if there is such a thing) from turning a large vase this weekend. Ask my brother next time you see him to show it to you. It is big.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

That's what I've read, the spindle should hit about your elbow. I've never actually measured mine though.

I was wonwering if this was right because my back sure has been hurting - I don't know if it is from working or from the turning - I will check it this weekend and see what I have - I don't know what I am going to do if my son ever starts turning - he is 6'5:swoon:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

I was wonwering if this was right because my back sure has been hurting - I don't know if it is from working or from the turning - I will check it this weekend and see what I have - I don't know what I am going to do if my son ever starts turning - he is 6'5:swoon:

Get him a stool so he can sit down,:gar-Bi

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm 6'3" and I had my HF lathe set at about 43½" at the centers. It's a short lathe, I got there with 3 layers of twobasixes or 4½" of solid high quality pine. My new ShopFox lathe came in at that height less a ½" and has felt comfortable to me.
I would shoot for centers at elbow height as a good place to get started.

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I just went and checked mine. with the wheels and all its at 46".
wonder if I could do better if I lowered it some:icon_scra
But then I wouldnt be able to move it:no:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I know it is supposed to be elbow height. Mine is still sitting on the floor. I'd like to build a mobile base for it, so hopefully that will raise it up a little. My back gets worked enough at work, turning a bowl is just the icing on the cake. :swoon:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Jan Woodturning Mag had a write up on this.

"Stand with feet apart and relaxed, lift your right arm from your elbow only to a position level across your body. Measure from the distance from your elbow to the floor. The lathe center should be at this height"

To tall make a platform, to short raise the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS