Revive your NiCd Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate71

New User
Evans
I just ran across this procedure that claims you can "revitalize" NiCd batteries that will no longer take a charge. Has anyone ever used/heard of this?

Evans

http://sup-remodeling.com/index.php...ticleid=4&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=39

02-18-10
Revive your NiCd Batteries

Category: General
Posted by: roccoa
Welcome to the REVIVE-IT Battery Surge instruction manual. I have researched Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) Batteries and developed this method for Re-Conditioning old NiCad Batteries to charge like new!

IMPORTANT:

Please note, this procedure is for NiCd batteries only and does not work on NiMh batteries which look similar. Be sure to check on the battery that it says NiCd

SOME BACKGROUND INFO:

NiCad batteries are found in most cordless power tool brands like Skil, Makita, Ryobi, Ridgid, Hitachi, Craftsman, Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Black and Decker etc. and are used in cordless drills, saws, hammer drills, jig saws, flashlights, sawzalls and demolition hammers.

NiCd batteries fail naturally if they do not undergo periodic maintenance. Battery manufactures don't tell you how to properly maintain them because they would rather you purchase a new one every few years.
The Nicd cell is very reliable, and has proven to be effective for many years. That's why they are used by so many tool manufactures! When these Batteries are properly maintained they can last up to 20 years! This manual will show you how to repair, and also show you a proper maintenance technique, so you can prevent this problem in the future.

Re-Conditioning a NiCad battery is a simple process and has a 98% success rate with thousands sold! It's very easy when you follow my instructions. You'll wish you tried it sooner.

Nickel Cadium (NiCd, NiCad) batteries have a tendency to grow internal “whiskers” called “crystal dendrite” growth. Those whiskers eventually discharge the battery completely. This often happens due to overcharging. Be sure to remove your batteries and not leave them in the charger. This growth can be blasted away with a quick jolt from car batteries, DC power supplies, or even a welder will do the trick. The process revives the cells or batteries by the injection of a short-duration high-magnitude current pulse through them.

THE PROCEDURE:

The procedure for most tool batteries is basically to quickly arc it across two 12 volt car batteries (or four 6 volt dry cell batteries, 24 volts total). One caution: do all this rapidly. Follow the guidelines below depending on your particular battery voltage. Safety first, folks. Use goggles and gloves.

For under 9.6 volts, one car battery or a 12 volt equivalent is sufficient. A car battery charger will do as well.

For 9.6 to 24 volt batteries, you’ll need two car batteries to generate enough
of a jolt. Some car battery chargers have a boost or “start” mode that will work all alone. A welder will work also, though probably not too many of you have a welder at your disposal. How long you hold the surge depends on the voltage of the rechargeable. A chart is shown below for surge times, but the proper wiring of the batteries is dealt with first.

FIRST: Wire your two car batteries in series (see figure below).

This can be done, if you prefer, without removing the batteries from the cars (be sure to remove positive leads to the car). You can use common jumper cables if desired, or use lamp chord and a couple of alligator clips. Series wiring is where two or more batteries are hooked together in series (i.e. positive terminal of the first battery is hooked to the negative terminal of the second battery). The resulting voltage is the sum of the individual battery voltages - if two 12V batteries are hooked together, the resulting voltage will be 24V. Use lamp cord thickness wire or larger and always use safety goggles!

Next hold the stripped ends of your wires to the rechargeable in the following pattern. It is best if the negative side can be fixed to the rechargeable using an alligator clip or in a comparable way. Tap the positive lead to the positive side of the rechargeable for about 10 seconds at a rate of 2 or 3 times per second. Follow the chart below for approximate surge (tapping) time so as not to burn the battery cells.

SURGE TIMES USING (2) 12 VOLT CAR BATTERIES in series (or a 24 volt equivalent):

9.6 volt 5 seconds (about 12 taps)
12 volt 7 seconds (16 taps)
14.4 volt 9 seconds (20 taps)
18 volt 10 seconds (25 taps)
24 volt 12 seconds (30 taps)

Then charge the battery as usual. If the voltage is not as strong as desired, repeat the process. This can be repeated up to 25 times.

Maintenance:

Crystals primarily grow larger from over charging. Over charging is the enemy of a NiCd Cells so remember to leave your batteries on the charger for no more than the required charging time! This is usually an hour or less for rapid chargers or 2 to 4 hrs for standard chargers. It is also best to only charge your batteries immediately before you use them.

Storing your batteries with a full charge encourages crystal growth. Storing your batteries on a low charge, but not dead, is best. To keep crystal growth under control, you must also perform the surge process above once every 3 months to keep you NiCd battery at its peak. Follow these maintenance techniques to insure years of dependable use.

VIDEO:

Below is a link to a video of the zap process using a welder for the power source. It’s a bit more dangerous, but interesting. Copy this link into your address bar:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Revi...with-a-Welder/

Print
Return

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
i tend to feel this is ill-advised. We do have a few chemists and physicists here, perhaps one of them can lend a bit of wisdom to this approach?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
More Internet BS, IMHO Evans, or to be more PC, another urban legend. Plus this guy is risking batteries exploding in folks face.
There's only one way to 'revive' NiCd batteries, send them to a rebuilder and have the cells replaced.

jhreed

New User
james
I have done this. My batteries were completely dead. Make sure you connect positive to positive, negative to negative. Just bump the positives together while maintaining contact on the negatives. When I finished i hooked it back up to my drill and it worked immediately. Then I put it on the charger. I used a small 6 amp battery charger. I have only done this once, so am not expert. I would do it with complete safety gear, including glasses , gloves etc. and have someone available in case there was a problem.
James

ps: was going to trash the drill and now it is still functional

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I saw a site that sells intructions; I did not buy them so I don't know what they are. It claimed you would need nothing but a meter.

James - what voltage battery were you trying to slavage? I have a Ryobi 14.4 that will not take a charge at all.

jhreed

New User
james
mine was like 6 volts. you are supposed to use a higher voltage than what the ni-cad is. they recommend a welder. needs to be dc current and higher voltage than the battery. do you know someone that has a small welder?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not all welder are DC. Most "buzz boxes" are AC. Be careful.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Andy
I won't try it unless I can find a suitable DC source, which seems unlikely above 12V.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
I won't try it unless I can find a suitable DC source, which seems unlikely above 12V.

@ 12v batteries in series should be what you need.
The one thing to be careful about if doing this is whatever you do DON'T allow the batteries too get warm or hot as they will explode. There is a vent in the positive side of each individual cell (6 cells = 7.2volts), make sure that you do not hear a hissing sound when doing this. If you hear a hissing sound you just ruptured the cell meaning 1 of your cells is not going to work at all.

Be careful......

www.allbatteries.com is just one spot to look.
www.all-battery.com/ is a better place to look
http://bargain-batteries.com/
So it may be safer to buy instead of the risk.

Good luck
Dudelive

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For anyone reluctant to try this, Interstate Batteries will rebuild any NiCd battery pack for cordless tools that has a screw on case. Not sure about the price but I'm about to find out on a couple of Hitachi 14.4v.
FYI

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
FWIW, I have a battery charger / analyzer that can refresh NiCads through a series of charge and discharge cycles. Internet sources report mixed but positive results. The big differences would be that (1) it is completely safe and (2) it works on only a single cell at a time.

I'm currently using it to analyze all the cells in my 3 Makita 12V packs. I hope to find enough good cells to build two good packs out of the three...

CarvedTones

Andy
I did look at the various discount sources; it's around $50 per battery for Ryobi 14.4. I have 2 and one does take a charge, so it would just be more convenient but not absolutely necessary to have the other working. It is a used set I traded not much for, so unless I find an easy/cheap way to revive the second battery, I will just make do with one.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
For anyone reluctant to try this, Interstate Batteries will rebuild any NiCd battery pack for cordless tools that has a screw on case. Not sure about the price but I'm about to find out on a couple of Hitachi 14.4v.
FYI

Please let us know what you find out! I've got some Craftsman batteries for some yard tools I'd love to refresh/rebuild. Been thinking about shock therapy for a while but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Trav

CarvedTones

Andy
Uh oh! Was that one of mine??? I thought the ones you got still worked. There was one bad which I pulled out and is sitting on my bench. I hope I didn't pull the wrong one!!

Trav

I hope you did pull the wrong one! Yes, it was from that set. If you can get the other one to me I will try it. Do not worry about this either way. That is the way it is with used tools; if it turns out that one of the good batteries went belly up, that's life. But please do try to send the other my way when it is convenient (don't make a special trip) and I will test it.

I am getting plenty of use out of the drill/driver with just the one battery.

Thanks!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I hope you did pull the wrong one! Yes, it was from that set. If you can get the other one to me I will try it. Do not worry about this either way. That is the way it is with used tools; if it turns out that one of the good batteries went belly up, that's life. But please do try to send the other my way when it is convenient (don't make a special trip) and I will test it.

I am getting plenty of use out of the drill/driver with just the one battery.

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear they've been useful! I'll try to remember to get the other batter in my car so it will be with me. I'm not sure when I'll be heading out your way next but if you're ever in Durham for anything we can make the hand off.

I guess it's possible that another one died since the last time I'd used them. I boxed up that set a few months ago to make room for it's replacement. Perhaps they didn't like being off the charger that long....

Trav

CarvedTones

Andy
I can post a PE request. People from Durham are always coming to Cary when they need a laugh...

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Where in Durham (N,S,E,W) and where in Cary? I go thru Durham frequently and go to Holly Springs every Sunday.

CarvedTones

Andy
Where in Durham (N,S,E,W) and where in Cary? I go thru Durham frequently and go to Holly Springs every Sunday.

Cary is 1010 and Kildaire, right where Cary confronts Holly Springs. :)
Also weekdays at North Hills works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS