Return to turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Well after a 7 month hiatus, from turning, I have gotten back into the shop some. Here are two recent pieces. C_&C Encouraged.

Maple, pretty plain and I found a small crack as I turned, but with limited time I figured I would turn it anyway. Took the opportunity to focus on technique, and finish prep.
9"x 2.5" sanded to 320, and 1 coat of AO:
P1020097.JPG

P1020101.JPG

This one is some heavily spalted QSRO, the wood was a bit brittle, but some wood hardener squared that away. Worth saving due to the rays and flecking. I had a hard time getting these to photograph well, but they are in a bowl pattern on the inside bottom. 7" x 2.5" finished to 320 and mineral oil.

P1020107.JPG

P1020104.JPG

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Very nice, Gary. I guess it hasn't been as long as you imagined. You still have the touch.:icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
welcome back to the darkside.:gar-Bi bet that WO was challenging.:wwink:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Awesome work Gary. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Now if you could just talk me into getting back into the shop again.... :wwink:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Nice work Gary. How did you chuck it when turning both the inside and the outside? I mean what chucks/accessories did you use?

wrwilder

New User
Ray
Gary, Very nice work. Glad you got a chance to go back to turning. One day I hope to try my hand at that art.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Nice work Gary. How did you chuck it when turning both the inside and the outside? I mean what chucks/accessories did you use?

These were roughed out a while back, I use a talon when there is a spigot, or jam it on there chuck to reverse, the oak was jam chucked to reverse as it was pretty punky, and the pores in the RO don't allow vac chucking, but the maple was vac chucked to turn the bottom.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Gary-- question re: the RO. I just turned WO for the first time about a week ago (spindle turning). I had a problem with differences in soft and harder grain causing uneven turning and sanding. If I were to try some more from this stock, I guess I'd use a hardener. Which did you use and what has been your experience in using it for turnings (any tips, etc.)?

To you and anyone else-- is this a normal experience for oak? I didn't do any research on it before turning.... it was some scrap I had for another project.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Mike, it just takes a light touch with the Oak, turns nice. The only reason I used hardener on this one was the PUNK. I just used one from the BORG, I think Minwax. I have heard that a DNA and epoxy cocktail works well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS