Red Oak Lumber Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
The Habitat for Humanity Reuse center in Raleigh just called me with a deal on rough sawn red oak. They have 5/4 and 8/4 in stock with vary widths of 8-14". All of it is priced at $3.00 /LF.

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
D L,

Is that $3 per LF and not BF? in various widths? That makes it sound like some widths will be a good deal and others will not...

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I was there this morning and I'll confirm $3/LF. I'd imagine they do it by linear foot so that they dont' have to explain boardfeet to customers and volunteers.
Pretty good stuff. Mostly 8" wide, generous 5/4, probably a true 6/4. Lots of 8/4 mixed in. Some of the bigger pieces have some considerable warpage. Also some 3x3 stock, and 4x4+. One real nice piece of rough RO 6x6 about 13' long...and straight.
Another piece was 8/4 x 20" wide and 7' long. That one had me excited until I unburied it and found that it had a huge warp in the middle.
Even in the rough, I could tell that there was some considerable color variation. Don't plan on getting it all for one big project because you'll pull your hair out trying to get it to all match. In all, they had 3 tightly packed racks of about 3' x 4' x 8-12'.
At $3/lf, the 8" wide 4/4 is no deal. Some of the wider stock (12-20") isn't a bad deal though. I'm going to check back a few times this week to see if the price goes down or if it looks like it's selling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS