radial drill press owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Does anybody in the Mooresville area, Lake Norman, Kannapolis ,Statesville have a radial drill press that could be setup to drill 1.5" holes in the end of 4 by 4 by 8' cypress post's. It is end grain :nah:and I'm trying to drill by hand drill and it is slow going to put it nicely. I've got 4 of them and it won't take long as long as you have the room to set it up. PM me :help:

Greg

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Does anybody in the Mooresville area, Lake Norman, Kannapolis ,Statesville have a radial drill press that could be setup to drill 1.5" holes in the end of 4 by 4 by 8' cypress post's. It is end grain :nah:and I'm trying to drill by hand drill and it is slow going to put it nicely. I've got 4 of them and it won't take long as long as you have the room to set it up. PM me :help:

Greg

I have the Shop Fox radial that I purchased from Rick at the Woodworking Source.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tracy,
I'll give you a call on Monday and we can discuss if it could be setup.I'm drilling 1.5" holes that are 1.5" deep on the end of 4 by 4's that are 8 feet long.Somehow I can't figure out how I would do that on a radial arm or with a lathe that has a chuck? It would have to be a really large lathe to be able to pass through the chuck.
TKP,
can you explain your idea ,I don't see it. I can see the idea of the RAS but the slide action is in the wrong direction.
Thanx for the ideas and keep them coming,
Greg

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Someone loaned me a heavy duty drill guide that would do that with a good powered hand drill. I was drilling a similar sized hole in the middle of a wooden wheel.

This is the one someone loaned me:

IMG_1681a.jpg

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
A Shopsmith is a very good horizontal boring machine. Maybe someone near you can help. If not, I have 2 but I'm not close.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tracy,
I'll give you a call on Monday and we can discuss if it could be setup.I'm drilling 1.5" holes that are 1.5" deep on the end of 4 by 4's that are 8 feet long.Somehow I can't figure out how I would do that on a radial arm or with a lathe that has a chuck? It would have to be a really large lathe to be able to pass through the chuck.
TKP,
can you explain your idea ,I don't see it. I can see the idea of the RAS but the slide action is in the wrong direction.
Greg
Many Sears, and some Delta RAS have a 1/2-20 arbor on the end of the shaft opposite the blade. You can thread a standard 1/2" drill chuck on it. Turn motor so shaft is lined up with direction of travel of the head assembly. Make a support and fence to hold posts perpendicular to RAS fence, and pull carriage towards you.

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
Tracy,
TKP,
Greg

Chuck in the headstock. Take the tailstock off for clearance. Make a spacer from the bed to support the work at the proper height, and feed the wood into the bit while it's resting on the spacer.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made this jig for my old Craftsman/Dunlop lathe:
http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27341
More pics are available in my album.
As far as a RAS, you could also put the chuck on the saw & set the bit to the proper location relative to the backstop on the saw and height, then place a stop on the backstop. Just push the 8 x 8 into the bit until you hit the stop. I assume all the timbers are reasonably close in their dimensioning. IMO this would be quicker and easier to manage than the lathe idea, as you should already have sufficient room to hold the material if the saw is in a fixed cabinet location.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Guys,
The job is done, I forgot about a large radial drill /mill that I have access to and that was real easy and safe.I've got a RAS and have never had much confidence in it for any task so having to setup that arrangement or build a jig for the bed of my lathe was really not a choice as far as time was concerned.
The Shopsmith idea should of come to me since my woodworking neighbor has one but at my age I'm lucky that I remembered my neighbor was a WW'er to start with.
Oh well the job is done and well,Thanx for the idea's
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS