Question for thought on a turning project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi there I have been ask to turn a pair of pieces for an appliance that attaches to a kitchen aid mixer. They are used to push apples through a screen to make apple sauce. Question #1. What type of wood? #2 What type of finish #3 where is the best place to get the blamks. I thought about hard maple but i am unsure.

Thanks

MArk

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Hard maple sounds like a good choice...

You an always use mineral oil for a finish, the schedule for application (as I've learned from N.C. WW) once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then as needed (I think it continues with like once a year forever).

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I own the mixer and the attachment. I am not sure what it is made out of but, I would not want anything with a grain like oak. I would say maple or birch. There is no finish on it. I do put mineral oil on it.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hard maple sounds like a good choice...

You an always use mineral oil for a finish, the schedule for application (as I've learned from N.C. WW) once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then as needed (I think it continues with like once a year forever).

DITTO

Jerry

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
Hi there I have been ask to turn a pair of pieces for an appliance that attaches to a kitchen aid mixer. They are used to push apples through a screen to make apple sauce. Question #1. What type of wood? #2 What type of finish #3 where is the best place to get the blamks. I thought about hard maple but i am unsure.

Thanks

MArk

I would go with hard Maple and no finish.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hard or Soft Maple, Beech, or Birch would work well. Any wood with a tight grain and closed pores. I totally agree with no finish other than apple juice. You probably would have the easiest time if you laminated the blank from some 4/4 stock. I don't know how large the blank needs to be, but finding dry stock much larger than 3" sq. can be difficult and costly.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Daveo These are not too large just about 2 and 1/2 across and about 3 & 5/8 high but I dont know where to buy hard maple. Would be glad of any info you have

Outa Square

New User
Al
I would call Asheville hardware or check here. Also i vaguely remember the mention of a place in Marion called woodworkers paradise.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Thanks Guys You are the greatest.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS