Question about splitting red oak with bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am in the mist of making a red oak display cabinet, comes from Woodsmith No. 78 if anyone has that book. The pattern allows the doors to be made without stile and rail cutter. I have a simple stile and rail cutter but it doesn't have the profile that comes on most doors and cabinets. Hope that make sense. You can see the cabinets I used on my kitchen, the pics are in my gallery. To the problem. The doors are put together with 3/8th inch pieces that go together to make the completed door. I have rough wood at 2/4 thickness and hate to waste so much. I would like to cut it in half with a 1/2hp craftsman bandsaw. Is it strong enough to make the cuts? Is there a way of making my simple stile and rail cutter work for doors with 8 panes? I would like to do that even if it doesn't have the cute profile. Thanks:BangHead: Lorraine

T

toolferone

Lorraine, let me if I can help. When you say "2/4" thick do you mean 1/2" thick or 2" (8/4) thick.Your band saw might resaw the rails and styles with a wide blade and few teeth. It will be slow going I would think.

Okay, I just read the article on the doors. It is a bit unusual, but it will work and you only need a 1/4" round-over (a very common bit) and a 1/2"dia core box (round nose) bit. These are bits you might have or should because you will use them a lot (my.02 worth)

If you want to use your bits then you will need to cut out the back of the r&s to leave a rabbet instead of a groove. You need to do this carefully because you don't want to cut away where the r&s join each other. you will need to then cut dado's where the divider go.

I hope this helps.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am sitting here now looking at a cabinet that is complete with the exception of the doors. There has to be a better way than the one the book shows. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and purchase the stile and rail cutter for glass. $89.00:gar-Cr Tomorrow is my birthday, :new_birthmaybe I should just order it for myself? You think? :gar-Bi It's just money.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
OK Lorraine. I'll be your enabler!:rotflm: If you think you will build more cabinets like these, go for the R&S bits.

I wish I knew enough about the subject to offer an alternative. Sorry...

Take care,

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If you want to use your bits then you will need to cut out the back of the r&s to leave a rabbet instead of a groove. You need to do this carefully because you don't want to cut away where the r&s join each other. you will need to then cut dado's where the divider go.

The first time I made doors with glass panes I cut the stiles "top to bottom". Color and grain matching/glueing/shaping the spacers to look right was a pain.

Lorraine - Remember to stop your stile cuts short when you remove the backs. You can clean to the line with a chisel.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You do not need a rail and stile cutter for glass doors. You can use your regular rail and stile cutters, glue the pieces up, fit a temporary piece in the grooves and use a rabbetting bit to cut them out.

I bought the glass bit set and realize after the fact that it isn't anything special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS