question about powder post beetle.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Do ppb's ever just go away on their own? I have some pecan lumber that showed the tell tale signs of ppb. I moved it back in October to clean it up and see exactly what I had. It's been cut and stacked for 30 years. Since moving it I have seen no more signs of bugs. Just wondering if they left or are they dormant for the winter. Given how warm this winter has been I would expect them to still be busy if they are present.
I would like to sell the lumber but don't want to pass ppb's on to someone else and really don't want to have to pay to take it to a kiln.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
Pecan = hickory species. They don't hang around for 30 years either. You probably saw the dust and remnants of their work from a long time ago.

Since moving it I have seen no more signs of bugs.
PPBs don't develop in wood with a moisture content below 15% so you're probably good other than the tiny shot holes left in the wood where the adults emerged.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The bugs may be gone but they may have tunneled through the wood making it not very good for furniture. I would cut open some representative pieces to see how bad the damage is.

Roy G

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The bugs may be gone but they may have tunneled through the wood making it not very good for furniture. I would cut open some representative pieces to see how bad the damage is.

Roy G
Yeah but does it look cool? I love cut offs of odd looking pieces for some of my work.

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member

Graywolf

Richard
Corporate Member
I have seen massive damage from them. However, this was yellow pine and not a hard fruitwood. So I’d say you need to cut into the wood to really know.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS