question about powder post beetle.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Do ppb's ever just go away on their own? I have some pecan lumber that showed the tell tale signs of ppb. I moved it back in October to clean it up and see exactly what I had. It's been cut and stacked for 30 years. Since moving it I have seen no more signs of bugs. Just wondering if they left or are they dormant for the winter. Given how warm this winter has been I would expect them to still be busy if they are present.
I would like to sell the lumber but don't want to pass ppb's on to someone else and really don't want to have to pay to take it to a kiln.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Robert, as long as you are up front with your customer then you should be fine.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pecan = hickory species. They don't hang around for 30 years either. You probably saw the dust and remnants of their work from a long time ago.

Since moving it I have seen no more signs of bugs.
PPBs don't develop in wood with a moisture content below 15% so you're probably good other than the tiny shot holes left in the wood where the adults emerged.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The bugs may be gone but they may have tunneled through the wood making it not very good for furniture. I would cut open some representative pieces to see how bad the damage is.

Roy G

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The bugs may be gone but they may have tunneled through the wood making it not very good for furniture. I would cut open some representative pieces to see how bad the damage is.

Roy G
Yeah but does it look cool? I love cut offs of odd looking pieces for some of my work.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've never seen a board with massive damage and tunnels from ppbs. They aren't huge tunnels that are excavated within the wood. The adults are only 1/32-1/16" in diameter. Kind of reminds me of wormy chestnut which used to be popular for woodworking.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.48.07 PM.png

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have seen massive damage from them. However, this was yellow pine and not a hard fruitwood. So I’d say you need to cut into the wood to really know.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS