QS Red oak Forsale

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I'll be working a few 24" dia red oak logs this weekend, It'll be quarter sawed. I should have about 200 BF of 4/4 for sale. If anyone is interested please reply to this thread, price is negotiable as long as it's fair. If you favor 8/4, I could do that too as long as you let me know before I throw them on the mill.

If no one is interested, I'll just keep it for myself. Red oak is my favorite lumber to work with.

I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff,
Your pm box is full. I'm interested in some of the QSRO and walnut from your other post. Please pm me your phone number and we can work out details.
Thanks!
Mark

J

jeff...

Jeff,
Your pm box is full. I'm interested in some of the QSRO and walnut from your other post. Please pm me your phone number and we can work out details.
Thanks!
Mark

Dang - I loose more messages that way - ok Inbox has been cleaned up a little.

J

jeff...

Ok it's done - Here's what it is. Two logs 1 was QS and one was flat (plain) sawn. The flat sawn lumber is already spoken for. It's approx 100 BF, boards range in width from 16" to 6".

So what's forsale is the QS, I cut it at 5/4, but am selling as 4/4. There's approx 150 BF, the log was 10' long but I'm selling the boards 9' long and widths range from 12" to 5". The reason I'm cutting back on the BF is the log ends were slightly checked, I was going to trim the log end and coat with ancorseal before I started slabbing boards but I forgot. I can get a better count when it's daylight if you would like. 150 BF is strickly a whack-o-stack estimate (I whacked the stack and said; yep looks 150 :lol:). Please note this is fresh off the log green lumber, not kiln or air dried. There is some real nice ray flake in some of the boards and some with little ray flake. There are some nice boards and some not so nice boards. Jim (Fernhollowman) cut a few of the boards, when he was over last Saturday.

I would like $1.00 a BF so $150.00 for the qutersawn red oak.

If your interested, I could bring to the Raleigh area maybe next weekend, but not this weekend.

Here's a picture, the 9' flat sawn is on top of the 10' QS.

Thanks

Attachments

• Jan11_02.jpg
    Jan11_02.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 171
J

jeff...

The QS RO is sold :-D.

I think I'm going to try Hickory next, there's a nice log I've been eye-balling for a while.

Thanks

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Hickory...

Do us all a favor and slice at 4/4.

I'll take the 2nd and 3rd slices of flatsawn and help you slice it up. Hikker is so rough on the planer blades, and there's eight runs at 1/16 per planer pass to get to 3/4".

J

jeff...

Does Hickory benifit from being QS? I know some tree's don't exhibit cool gain patterns when quarted.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
QS'ing will give you the stability of equilateral wood movement in any tree species, but I think that only the Oaks, and possibly Sycamore will exhibit the ray fleck pattern that is so desired.
Dave:)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
hickory or pecan are good fret board woods if quartersawn..The growth rings should be a tad tighter if used as instrument grade wood.

J

jeff...

Looks like if your QS’ing Hardwood for flake appearance, Red Alder, American Beech, Oaks (Red and White) and Sycamore are likely to produce. At least that’s what this handy chart says :-D.

Thanks

Attachments

• Flat - QS.jpg
    Flat - QS.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 169
J

jeff...

hickory or pecan are good fret board woods if quartersawn..The growth rings should be a tad tighter if used as instrument grade wood.

Well if I mess it up atleast I'll have a lot of hickory chip for the BBQ grill :rolf:

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I turned a nice bowl out of pecan recently. I would be curious to know if hickory turns as nicely. If you do get the log to cut up are you interested in making some bowl blanks? Probably something around 4-6" thick (deep) or so would be nice, or maybe even a tad larger. I would take whatever you feel like making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS