Purple Heart color

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Thought I'd put this up for ideas, comments, or whatever may come.

I've just started working with the first piece of Purple Heart I've played with. I notice that when cut, the exposed surfaces are actually somewhat brown, and it appears that over the next hours to a day, the purple color returns.

Now, is there a way to "enhance" or maximize the amount of purple color that reappears? In other words, what can be done to make the wood as purple as it's going to get?

Any ideas, thoughts, or experiences?

Jim

skeeter

New User
Charles
Exposure to the sun brings out the purple color. I have noticed on pens that no exposure and they will start to turn a grey color. Leaving them in the sun for a few days will turn them back to purple. This even happens after finishing, so I do not think sealing them while purple will help in the fading.

JRD

New User
Jim
Skeeter,

You must have read my mind. I'm trying Purple Heart in a pen and want to make sure it ends up as
purple as it can be.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto Skeeter's comments. Although I like Purpleheart, it is horrendous for tiny little splinters that love to stick in your hand and fingers.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees has worked well for me. Keep an eye on it and remove when the color is right.
You might have problems if you have a 10 foot long board tho! :)

I've made several boxes using PH treated with heat and all that I've been able to see over the years still have the nice purple color. All were finished with poly or varnish. I read about using heat over at penturners.org several years ago, it's not an original solution that I came up with.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees has worked well for me. Keep an eye on it and remove when the color is right.
You might have problems if you have a 10 foot long board tho! :)

I've made several boxes using PH treated with heat and all that I've been able to see over the years still have the nice purple color. All were finished with poly or varnish. I read about using heat over at penturners.org several years ago, it's not an original solution that I came up with.

Interesting. I made some end grain cutting boards with purple heart, and the purple turned to brown after running the boards through the drum sander. The wood got quite warm during the process. So are you saying reheating the boards will bring out the purple again?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Interesting. I made some end grain cutting boards with purple heart, and the purple turned to brown after running the boards through the drum sander. The wood got quite warm during the process. So are you saying reheating the boards will bring out the purple again?
From what I've read heating too hot will result in brown, and some say heating to purple or brown sets the color in. As for your cutting boards I don't know if 350 would melt the glue. I am surprised that the brown didn't return to purple with time, unless it is true that the heat set the color. All the PH I've worked with was brown on the interior, cross cutting a board results in a purple exterior and a brown end, but the end turns purple quickly.
I have a couple of boards of PH flooring, I'll run a piece thru the drum sander and see if I can duplicate what you had, then try heating it. That still won't answer the glue issue.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a couple of boards of PH flooring, I'll run a piece thru the drum sander and see if I can duplicate what you had, then try heating it.
Gotta love the science here :) It's been about a week, and the purple color has not returned, despite some time in the sun. But, the sanding process itself may also have something to do with it. And long grain vs. end grain may also make a difference. Time to go bake some wood cookies :)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Some pieces of purple heart turns more purple with UV light and others seem to have the opposite effect.
Somewhere I read that purple heart wood actually comes from more than one species of tree. I wish I could remember where I found the article. I figure that is why there is so much variation from tree to tree and shipment to shipment.
Rob

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have a purpleheart board that I use for small projects here and there. I have had it for years. It is brown, but when I cut it or plane it, the newly exposed surfaces are purple. If I apply finish ASAP, they will stay purple for quite a while (months) but eventually go brown again. Left untreated, they go brown again in a few days.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Some pieces of purple heart turns more purple with UV light and others seem to have the opposite effect.
Somewhere I read that purple heart wood actually comes from more than one species of tree. I wish I could remember where I found the article. I figure that is why there is so much variation from tree to tree and shipment to shipment.
Rob

I don't have a reference either but have experienced both color changes with PH. The stuff on my work bench is more of a purple/red hue but so far has maintained its color.

I have made a few boxes that browned out with age.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS