Pump for Vacuum Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB

Jon
User
Check out JT Turnings at http://www.jtturningtools.com/
They have pumps and all the plumbing and fixtures you need. I saw them at the National symposium in MN a few years back, bought the vacuum adapter and a hub from them, works very well. I got a Gast pump out of a piece of obsolete equipment at work and bought the fittings that I needed at the hardware store.

gritz

New User
Robert
I bought a Gast vacuum pump at American Science and Surplus for my setup about 5 years ago for $50. You just have to be patient and persistent.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check out JT Turnings at http://www.jtturningtools.com/
They have pumps and all the plumbing and fixtures you need. I saw them at the National symposium in MN a few years back, bought the vacuum adapter and a hub from them, works very well. I got a Gast pump out of a piece of obsolete equipment at work and bought the fittings that I needed at the hardware store.
Jon,
where do you work that you had a vacuum pump in a obsolete piece of equipment?

JonB

Jon
User
I work in the printing industry, it came out of a step and repeat machine (used to make printing plates). There were actually 3 identical pumps that all ran on 110v. There was a member of the Chicago Woodturners club who was getting used pumps from medical oxygen concentrators, not sure if he can still get them.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I work in the printing industry, it came out of a step and repeat machine (used to make printing plates). There were actually 3 identical pumps that all ran on 110v. There was a member of the Chicago Woodturners club who was getting used pumps from medical oxygen concentrators, not sure if he can still get them.

I will have to ask my buddy (a big printshop here in town) but I am not sure he has any more of that era of equipment...
He does a lot of digital printing and I don't think they use them anymore (might be a good thing - maybe there are some obsolete machines sitting around... BRB

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Check out Air-Vac Engineering for ideas on venturi pumps. If your compressor's inlet filter screws in , you turn it into a vacuum pump. Used and worn HVAC vacuum pumps are a dime dozen. They will pull more CFM than you need, and are designed to run for hours on end. (Some large systems take DAYS to vacuum down.) Check with a couple HVAC contractors about old pumps, because when they no longer pull in the micron range, new is cheaper than rebuild, plus there isn't down time without a vac pump.

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
For any interested parties, I just found this on Ebay. Guy seems to have a handful of refurbished gast pumps: http://r.ebay.com/7DdCGg

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
hrmm, might be a bit excessive for my stabilizing chamber, but I could also see it being used for vacuum bagging, chuck holding, etc... That's a lot of machine for the price.

JonB

Jon
User
Mike,
That is the guy from Chicago that I was talking about, he did a demo for the Milwaukee Woodturners that I belonged to when I lived in WI. I didn't realize that he had a website. His price for a pump and everything you need to set up a vacuum chuck is very good, I know several guys that bought from him and are very happy with the set up.

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
I pulled the trigger on a pump from the FrugalVacuumChuck. Bob, the owner, is about as nice a guy as you could possibly do business with. I ordered JUST the pump (comes with the starting cap and a cord) - $125 shipped to me. His kit seems great too, but I wanted to chance to screw up the connections myself instead of buying a kit :p

I'll let y'all know how it pans out - I'll do a video or some pictures and follow up here next weekend...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Corporate Member
I bought a used A/C pump off CL ($35) to try my hand at veneering (which I haven't done yet). Appears to be barely used (not that I could tell the difference). Worked fine when I plugged it in, but then I put it away and haven't touched it since :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS