Project Joel, a Crib for the new baby...WIP Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A little hand sanding with the grain with the 220 grit will help to camouflage the scratch pattern left by the abrasives (by hiding it in the grain pattern). But that isn't always necessary, I usually only do it on the highly visible areas of a project like table tops, cab doors, etc.

There will be no excuses for no pictures in 5 weeks, we want baby pics...and it would be nice to see the crib too, if you can stage it right :lol:

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
unless I want to sleep on my table saw, the crib will be done before the little one arrives!! and OF COURSE I'll have pics of our new little one!!

sediener

New User
Steve
Phillip, It's looking good so far.

Are you using the Rockler Heirloom Crib plans? I have the hardware and am going to start up on mine in about a week or two. I have about 100 days of poo-free existence left. ;)

- Steve

MikeH

New User
Mike

Are you using the Rockler Heirloom Crib plans? I have the hardware and am going to start up on mine in about a week or two. I have about 100 days of poo-free existence left. ;)

- Steve

and poo they will!!! :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Littlejon

New User
Jon
YES THEY WILL!!

Funny story - When we brought our first born home, my lovely wife was in dire need of some sleep. So, being the loving husband, I volunteered to take care of our son. Well, the MIL was taking a nap (she stayed for about a week) as was my wife's grandmother, so I am basically all alone with my new son. I hear the little guy start crying and figure it is time for a new diaper (urine on a freshly circumcised winker makes for a mighty unhappy tyke!). So, I put him up on the changing table, pull the old diaper off, clean off the parts with a wipe and, while still holding his legs up, lean down to get a new diaper.

Well, I hear this liquid explosion and he starts cooing (I still think he was laughing at me). Seems he decided to fire off some projectile poop all over the dresser at the end of the table, the changing table itself and the wall on the other side of the dresser while I had lifted him up for the proper trajectory! Well, needless to say, I woke everyone else up with my cries for help, which garners laughs to this day!

Lesson learned the hard way for a new dad - NEVER leave a kid uncovered! NEVER!!! Always cover up until the new diaper is in hand and ready to be put on. Make the switch as fast as humanly possible and whatever you do, don't hold 'em up any longer than necessary. Gives 'em too much time to ponder the possibilities!

MikeH

New User
Mike
YES THEY WILL!!

Funny story - When we brought our first born home, my lovely wife was in dire need of some sleep. So, being the loving husband, I volunteered to take care of our son. Well, the MIL was taking a nap (she stayed for about a week) as was my wife's grandmother, so I am basically all alone with my new son. I hear the little guy start crying and figure it is time for a new diaper (urine on a freshly circumcised winker makes for a mighty unhappy tyke!). So, I put him up on the changing table, pull the old diaper off, clean off the parts with a wipe and, while still holding his legs up, lean down to get a new diaper.

Well, I hear this liquid explosion and he starts cooing (I still think he was laughing at me). Seems he decided to fire off some projectile poop all over the dresser at the end of the table, the changing table itself and the wall on the other side of the dresser while I had lifted him up for the proper trajectory! Well, needless to say, I woke everyone else up with my cries for help, which garners laughs to this day!

Lesson learned the hard way for a new dad - NEVER leave a kid uncovered! NEVER!!! Always cover up until the new diaper is in hand and ready to be put on. Make the switch as fast as humanly possible and whatever you do, don't hold 'em up any longer than necessary. Gives 'em too much time to ponder the possibilities!

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

I just had to pick myself up off the floor. That's a funny story.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

- Steve

That's it exactly, I decided to forgo the pyramid accents. I kinda like the way it looks without them. Enjoy your last 100 days, the LOML reminds me every day how much closer we are.

Littlejohn and Mike,

I'm preparing myself for the worst!! My wife has two younger brothers who were born when she was 12 and 14 so she's already warned me, cover him with a washcloth and hurry up, oh and make sure you point it down in the diaper....LOL what fun I have to look forward to!

But really We are getting so excited!! Thanks for the support and motivation guys!!

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Let me tell you, no matter how many sleepless nights, diaper changes or other trying times you WILL go through the first couple of years, it is all worth it. You will be tired non stop for the first 6 months to a year, but it will get better. You will worry like crazy when they get sick and laugh endlessly at stuff you never thought you would.

Then, one day you will look up and they will be almost as tall as you are (which really isn't that big a feat in MY case!) and roll their eyes when you try to play with them like you always did.

My boys are 9 & 7 now and I cannot believe how much they have grown. It seems like just yesterday I was bringing them home for the first time. Now, wrestling with them actually hurts sometimes!

Carefull what you wish for, though. My wife loves to remind me that when we were first married I kept telling her I wanted a son to go throw the baseball with. Well, my youngest is a sports NUT now, especially baseball, and begs me to throw the ball every single day as soon as I walk in the door. We'll spend hours outside just throwing the ball.

Of course, my oldest isn't interested in sports, but he IS very interested in my other passion, woodworking. He spent an hour sawing through a piece of cedar scrap I had with a coping saw one day. I thought he would get bored and go back upstairs, but he was moving it around, trying to make it go where he wanted. Since then we have been spending a lot of time working on various projects from pinewood derby cars for Scouts to an upcoming birdhouse he wants to build.

Like I said, even the worst days I can remember with them are nowhere close to being as memorable as even the most seemingly "slight" good times.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Littlejon, It's stories like that one that I hear from you, my dad, and several other people that have me so excited! My brother and his wife had their first a week ago today and holding their baby I was almost jealous b/c he wasn't mine! But mine will be here soon enough and I must go finish the crib!

WIP pics this evening!! (Mike, hold me to it!!)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
And the saga continues ;-)

The darker spots are from me wiping it down with MS to clean off all the dust.

One end rail done, gotta put the caps on the other end rail, hopefully I'll start finishing tomorrow.

DSC003632.JPG
DSC003621.JPG

MikeH

New User
Mike
Phillip that looks awesome! Keep pluggin! You're getting close.....in more than one way. :lol:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Project Joel, a Crib for the new baby...FINISHED!!!!!

So, after many months of trial and tribulation, Joel's crib is DONE! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :-D Lemme know what cha think! Now to start on the changing table, gotta have it done is 6 weeks, the pressure is building!!

DSC00373-1.JPG

DSC00374-1.JPG

DSC00375-1.JPG

So now the wife is happy, the baby can come on because he has a place to sleep, all is good in the world!!

Thanks for looking, helping, and sharing in this!! You guys have been a tremendous help!!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Phillip that looks AWESOME!!! Great job!!!!! Little Joel will never know how much time, effort and love went into that crib. Good job. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That's something to be very proud of!!

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Mike and DaveO, THANKS! I learned a TON during this project.

We are so excited for the little guy to get here, I'll definitely have a gloat then!

cskipper

Cathy
:icon_chee :icon_chee :icon_chee That looks wonderful! Congrats on a job well done! :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks great, Phillip!

I built the same one about 15 months ago for our daughter and it's been wonderful. A true hierloom and beautiful piece of furniture!

Enjoy it and Show it off (let them see the kid too :lol:)

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Great looking piece! I think you will find this is something you can pass on to your son when he has kids. Things like this tend to find a way to live on as long as they stay together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS