Project Joel, a Crib for the new baby...WIP Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
My Crib progress so far...

Jumbled mess, I figured since the freezer wasn't storing food it would work as a parts table. It has served in that roll flawlessly.
DSC00240.JPG

As Mike put it, this is my clamp farm. If only I could get them to reproduce on their own. This is a rail for one of the gates. Glueing the spacers in wasn't so bad!

DSC00243.JPG

Using my great grandfathers handplane to smooth out the spacers and gate rail. I must say it's kinda cool to know that my great grandfather used this same tool. I'll be able to tell my son that his crib was built with tools from his great great grandfather!

DSC00245.JPG

This is the first mortise I've cut for actual use. I don't think it turned out too bad. I've actually squared the edges up a little bit more.

DSC00248.JPG

This is how the top rail fits into the mortise, I have a lot of cleaning up to do. The tenon fits nice and snug, now to get the shoulder to fit pretty.

DSC00250.JPG

Thanks for looking! The advise I've picked up here has been priceless. More pictures to come as progress continues.
photo

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

For some reason, I can't see the pics ... can anyone else?
Phillip's pictures do not show up as it looks like he tried to link to a source offsite. I'll post a suggestion on how he can set up an album.

M

McRabbet

Phillip,

You have your pictures in an offsite gallery that doesn't work for the rest of us -- you may be able to see them, but you'll need to follow the FAQ thread Posting Pictures. To add pictures to your own Gallery here, click on Photo Galleries on the Main Menu Bar and then Upload Photos at the right end of the Photo Gallery Menu Bar. The first pcture will create a Gallery called Ptt49er's Album. Once they are uploaded, you can reference them in any thread (if you use a photo on your PC as an attachment, it can only be used once, a big disadvantage).

Hope this helps.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I posted them using my laptop, I'm on our desktop now and can see them here too...I'm so confused, I followed the FAQ thread when I posted them earlier...I wonder what I am doing wrong :eyeslam:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phillip the reason that you can see you pictures but others can't is that they are on your computer. Your other posts, the one you asked me about, required that the pictures be downloaded to be viewed. The site isn't supporting direct linking to your picture host, I don't know why..I don't know that much about these things :5dunce:
The best thing to do is to create an album as Rob explained and then link your pictures to it.
Plus every picture you upload counts as a post :-D (one of my post count enhancing secrets :-D )..if that is important to you :roll:
Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
DaveO, the pictures are only on my laptop, they are not loaded on my desktop yet, you can't see them either?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I get the X
Try uploading them to the site, once you've done that it is really easy to post the picture.
If you have a link to the Google hosting site, I can help to pull the pics off it.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The best method will be to upload them to this website, to your album, then from each image in the NCWW album is a link you can copy-&-paste into the thread to insert the images.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phillip, you've mastered pic posting and done a fine job on the crib. I can't wait to see it with the finish applied :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

MikeH

New User
Mike
Phillip the crib looks great. I got your message this evening. Give me a call tomorrow afternoon when you want to finish the pen.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
More WIP Pics...fist gate dry assembled

DSC00309.JPG

Below is hopefully my answer to not having to buy clamps as the LOML has several cut my tool budget for the next little while. Do you guys think these tie downs will suffice? I can't see why the wouldn't. I am going to use big pieces of cardboard were the straps apply pressure to the wood.

DSC00310.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work so far Phillip. Keep the pics coming. :icon_thum

I agree it's really cool to make your son's crib with his great great grandfather's tools. :)

Chuck

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Thanks Chuck! Hopefully I'll have both gates together tomorrow.

On my mortise and tennons, what's the easiest way to get the shoulder to match up with the leg? I still have a hair line gap that I want to go away.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phillip are your tenons bottoming out? If so cut them a little shorter, the end grain of the tenon offers no glue strength. Are all your slats exactly the same length from tenon shoulder to tenon shoulder? That could be keeping a few from seating all the way.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
It's not for the slats, it's the rails on the narrow end of the crib. I will try trimming the end of my tennon a little tomorrow. I'm guessing sandpaper will probably be the easiest way to work out the fine adjustments.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I know, no pics, didn't happen but the wife has the camera in her purse and I keep forgetting to grab it and I don't want this thread to close up just yet...

I'm waiting for the glue to set up on the last rail and then it's time to attach the top caps and it'll be time to start finishing. I'm hoping you guys will critique my finishing schedule and let me know if it'll work well...

Sanded everything up to 220 grit with my ROS, do I need to hand sand or anything? seems like I heard something about hand sanding with the grain? Then a coat of 50/50 poly/MS, rub that out with 0000 steel wool, then 3 coats of straight poly, rubbing each coat out with the 0000 steel wool.

Thanks in advance guys!! We only have 5 weeks left and I still need to build our changing table, but that shouldn't take me that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS