Progress on shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
shop and bench look great Mike!

I can attest to those mats, been using them for 5-10 years with no complaints.
They feel stiff, but are huge improvement over bare concrete.

FWIW I keep the grooved side up. It generally helps when I drop small things that might bounce or roll away.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe a small display cabinet...

i really need need to finish the bench and wall cabinets, if I don't it will never be done.
Good point! (my typical issue) the oven "cabinet is done" but I was asked this weekend when the crown molding and other piece of trim was going to be finished.... SIGH!:BangHead:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Final details completed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That REALLY looks good Mike - I hope I get to see it in person soon!

how did you do the round-over (astragal?) on the end vise chop?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Chris, I bought that vise in Georgia over 25 years ago. As far as I know I have never bought anything from you. You did give me a cut off tool for turning the night STEVE and I visited.

Hank, I cut it on my bandsaw.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thats a fine lookin bench mike,:icon_thum:icon_thum It will serve you well for many years. are you goimg to put any finish on it, or leave it raw?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Chris, I bought that vise in Georgia over 25 years ago. As far as I know I have never bought anything from you. You did give me a cut off tool for turning the night STEVE and I visited.

Hank, I cut it on my bandsaw.

No problem Mike, I had one like it, not sure what I ever did with it…. it might still be out in the shop semwhere

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was getting ready to cut some dovetails and my moxon vise had a bunch of the bench dogs and work holding fixtures that I use from time to time so I added all the others. I generally don't use all of these at once, but I took the opportunity to take a picture of all of them at once. These are the various bench dogs / puppies / bars from Veritas and the little plastic ones from Rockler which are very useful at times due to their reduced height. Most of the work holding fixtures are also Veritas from Lee Valley.

DSC_0496_800x532_1.jpg

The round metal plate in the back left sticks in a dog hole and you can fix a magnetic base lamp to it. Very handy when carving or such.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Too bad I already sold my Gramercy Hold-fasts (I think to Fred, but not sure.) They don't work very well at all in my thicker benchtop. I had some made by a blacksmith that work extremely well. Unfortunately he got out of the hold-fast business.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken, can you please post a good photo of your Blacksmith made Hold Fast?
Thanks!

Here ya go. They have a thin gold overlay on the design portion. I believe this was a trademark of the Blacksmith who made them. Can't think of his name off-hand. He was mentioned in Schwarz's Blog, but I understand he no longer makes hold-fasts.

DSC_0497_800x532_1.jpg

That ruler is 13" long total, the dog holes are 3/4" and the bench is about 4-3/4" thick (used to be 5" thick.)​

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Is that red bar 812 inch scale? And what is the horizontal distance between the vertical bar and the pad? Thanks Ken!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors