Progress on shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Barry came over today and helped me a great deal with my shop. I'm not an organizer, but I know I need the shop sorted so I can spend more time working and less time hunting tools and shifting stuff around.

Barry helped a lot and I really appreciate it.

Before
image.jpeg

After
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Still a long way to go...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great job you two. Ya'll need my address? I see you have the new lights up too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a question about the tool cabinet being on that outside wall.

there was a small 4x16 hole cut through the OSB and the insulation is gone there. Looked like maybe they were going to install a small ac or a vent in the wall.

Should i I take the cabinet down stuff the wall with insulation and patch the hole, then cover the OSB with an air tight seal like plastic or rubber?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good job. I've got almost twice as much room as you and more than twice as much mess.

I need to spend a few days organizing as well.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I have a question about the tool cabinet being on that outside wall.

there was a small 4x16 hole cut through the OSB and the insulation is gone there. Looked like maybe they were going to install a small ac or a vent in the wall.

Should i I take the cabinet down stuff the wall with insulation and patch the hole, then cover the OSB with an air tight seal like plastic or rubber?

We may have hung your nice cabinets without proper preparation, insulating the wall behind them would be a good move. I am also concerned that the right-hand cabinet has only one stud behind it. Let me know if you want to install insulation and frame out the area behind the right side cabinet. I have some insulation we can use.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Nice shop Mike. I like your workbench. Looks like its about as narrow as mine. I've found that to give me all the room I need. In the museum world we have to be really careful about what type of artifacts we place on outside walls no matter how thick the walls are. So I'd definitely get something between your tools and the outside elements.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
We may have hung your nice cabinets without proper preparation, insulating the wall behind them would be a good move. I am also concerned that the right-hand cabinet has only one stud behind it. Let me know if you want to install insulation and frame out the area behind the right side cabinet. I have some insulation we can use.

I have a whole roll of insulation, minus 4 feet. If you want it, just holler.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice shop Mike. I like your workbench. Looks like its about as narrow as mine. I've found that to give me all the room I need. In the museum world we have to be really careful about what type of artifacts we place on outside walls no matter how thick the walls are. So I'd definitely get something between your tools and the outside elements.

That is a commercial bench I bought used, it is a good size for demos where I need to transport a bench in my car. But it is too light and too wobbly for real work. I'm building a much heavier one that will be more stable. That one is 11 inches wide, my new one will be 18.

Im going to redo the wall, just didn't think about it yesterday. Was so happy just to be getting the cabinets put up. Bill Clemmons made them for me a couple years ago and I haven't been able to clear out a space to put them up.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Still making little progressive steps.

Glued the second two legs and finish planed one of them.

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Got got the chisel rack in the wall cabinet, still need to buy the 1 inch chisel.

image4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought that might be a problem, I did them like I always do. I'll upload to my gallery and edit the link.

It's a little harder to do on the iPad but more reliable.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Mike
You work in a space about the same size as me. I do have an upper floor that it filling up as you understand. I chuckled at the bench and an earlier comment. I have the same bench from Leichtung something or other. I got it back in the 70's and it works as a portable bench by unscrewing the leg assembly and go. Handy.

I found it "wobbles" a little for bigger planing jobs so its not getting too much use these days. I guess I'm attached to it in a funny way. A bigger heavy bench is on the schedule but the design is still too messy. Lots of good ideas out there but tail vise parts are just so pricey.

I cut my teeth on an old heavy European bench with a face vise and tail vise. Surfacing wood on that bench was a joy.

I am rough on a bench no matter how nice it looks I will mess it up. A workbench is not an altar for me its just another tool getting heavy use and being modified for the work at hand.

Have fun in the shop.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors