Problem squaring blade on saw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oderus1671

New User
chris
Hey guys, I have a Dremel 1680 scroll saw that I cant seem to get the blade square front to back. I can square the blade side to side, just not the oppsite direction. Seems as if the blade holder assembly isnt adjustable at all, so this is really bothering me. I know its not a super high end saw, but it works for me at the moment. Eventually I am hoping to graduate to an Excalibur or Hegner...:crybaby2:
So has anyone used this saw before?

cskipper

Cathy
I don't think I've ever heard of a blade not being square from front to back. You know that the teeth on blades are set at angles so it can appear to not be square Is that what you mean? Try this - get a scrap piece of wood and cut straight into it. Turn it around and see if the blade will enter the same slot from the rear of the blade. If so, at least the table is square to the blade. Let us know if that's true and we'll go from there.

oderus1671

New User
chris
Wow! Fast reply! Sorry for the bad pics, as its dark now outside. Wasnt expecting a reply so fast.
In the side-to picture, you might be able to see the top of the blade "leaning out" farther than the bottom. In the close-up, its a shot of my blade clamp assembly. No adjustment is visible.
Just to be more specific, the top of the blade leans forward (towards the user when in front of it) about 1/8". This proves stack cuts and sharp radii almost impossible to be accurate. The table itself is square to the blade left to right.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 180

cskipper

Cathy
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what to suggest. Is your saw new? If not, has this just started?

oderus1671

New User
chris
well, ive had it for a while, just been doin intarsia, nothing else, so precision isnt exactly paramount. I do a lot of fitting and sanding! yes, its always been that way to my best knowledge. are any of your high end saws like this or are they all perpendicular?

oderus1671

New User
chris
Hmmm, when you clamp the blade can you move the bottom out a little and the top in a little?
Well, Ive been doing that for a while, but it still doesnt get me square. Theres only so much I can fudge the blades before they go ping after you start cutting!:BangHead:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How is the table mounted? Can put a shim under the back mount squaring the table to the blade rather than than squaring the blade to the table?

pete

oderus1671

New User
chris
hmm... never thought of that.... I have a spare saw identicle to this one. Guess I will investigate that option tomorrow on the spare.:icon_thum But Im still curious to know if other saws are like this as well.

cskipper

Cathy
I went to the Dremel site and looked over the user's manual. The only thing that I saw that might cause this might be the arm bearings needing oiled.

Is it the same way on your identical saw?

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
I woke with one of those "ah -ha!" moments. Try something for me. Without turning on your saw, move the blade up and down. Your saw's arm motion is a pivot so as the arm goes up the base of the blade should move forward. If so, then it's "normal" for your saw and all saws with this type of construction. The DeWalt has a modified pivot so you probably don't see this, or at least as much. The only way to completely avoid it is to go to a true parallel arm saw (Hegner, Hawk and I think Excaliber).

oderus1671

New User
chris
you were right, cskipper, it moved just like you said. so heres what i did to "help" it out a bit...
I took the blade clamp assembly off, and with a very small rasp bit and a Dremel, wallowed out the hole to make it oblong. I also needed to shave the back side of the clamp, to allow it to slide further back on the arm. So now I have a bit of adjustablility in the top blade clamp. It doesnt solve the problem, but gets me a lil closer to square than I was. Now the blade tends to rock back and forth evenly, so its not all leaning forward. Thanks to all you nice folks who offered your time and thoughts!:icon_thum

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I don't think I've ever heard of a blade not being square from front to back. You know that the teeth on blades are set at angles so it can appear to not be square Is that what you mean? Try this - get a scrap piece of wood and cut straight into it. Turn it around and see if the blade will enter the same slot from the rear of the blade. If so, at least the table is square to the blade. Let us know if that's true and we'll go from there.
If you read the original question you will see that is not his problem.
You answer pertains to the blade 90* side to side as if he were trying to make a bevel cut.

cskipper

Cathy
Eagle, I knew that wasn't anwering his question but gave me a starting point. If you'd kept reading, you'd see that I realized what the cause probably was, which was confirmed by Chris. Good thing we met at WG's, huh?

Last edited:

oderus1671

New User
chris
just a lil update... since I did the above, the pieces that Im cutting are SO much better, even though they are still a touch out of square. :BangHead:Its mostly noticeable on pieces that have a sharp point to them, but until I get the green to buy a nice Hegner or Excalibur, Im sorta stuck with what I got. Thanks for all the helpful tips.:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS