PowerMatic 64A Outfeed Table - Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
PowerMatic 64A Fold-Down Out-feed Table.

2_P1010696.jpg

1_P1010663.jpg

This project took a lot more time than I thought it would! You can see more pictures, with additional details, in my photo album. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1012

It's amazing how many ways you can build an out-feed table. After considerable research on the Internet, I found it necessary to use the design-as-you-go method.

I used Aluminum T-Track in the miter gauge slots; it was a tedious job to align the T-track with the miter slots in the tablesaw but it sure looks nice:) My objective was to extend the miter track for my large cross-cut sled.

The LOML was really impressed! She wants to use it as a cutting table for her sewing. Guess I will need to install a fine tooth blade when she does that:slap:

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
That looks really good. What type of hinge did you use on the table fold? I am gonna do this soon on my jet. I hope it turns out as nice as yours.

T

toolferone

Don, Very nice job on the table. I am sure you had lots of fun getting the miter tracks perfectly aligned!!

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Thanks very much for a very well thought out idea. Now I know how to add an outfeed table to my contractor saw. All I need now is the room to house it in.

Couldn't help but notice the dent on the top of the motor where it would just touch the table----would you tell us the story about that?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is nothing less than SWEET!

You spent a good chunk of change on hardware I would bet. Knobs, track, bolts, hinges, not to mention angle iron, but it looks like you did it right!

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
What are the dimesions of your table ? And are you in Yakima Washington?

KC7CN

New User
Don
All - Thank you for all the nice comments. Here are the answers to your questions.

Jon, the hinges are heavy-duty commercial grade door hinges. I purchased them at Home Depot for $5.00 on clearance. The original plan was to recycle a pair old brass hinges I've been packing around for years. After I installed them, I noticed the hinge pins were loose and the fit was sloppy; a lot more lateral play than I wanted. A good quality exterior door hinge will do the job.

Table dimensions:
Full table: 46-1/2"D x 52-1/2"W.
Permanent table: 12-1/2"D x 52-1/2"W
Folding table: 31-1/2"D x 52-1/2"W

Yes, I live in Yakima, Washington! I am one of those "grateful exceptions" Steve Coles made for membership in North Carolina Woodworker forum when he shut down the Woodworkers Photo Gallery.

Tom, aligning the two miter tracks was not easy! The step-by-step process I used is described in the Photo Details under the pictures. The miter slots were 0.10" off on the initial cut. It was necessary to re-install the template and widen the slot by this amount (the thickness of a typical business card). Ironically, I never use the right miter track, but that may not always be the case.

Bob, you need to get busy and build your outfeed table! It really does not add much space when folded down because the motor hangs out the back anyway. And it's a safety issue! I was recently using one of those roller stands when ripping some long stock. As I was pulling back on the waste I noticed the roller start to rotate, and pull the good piece back towards the blade; good thing I was being careful!

The apparent dent on the top of the motor is NOT a dent! However, there is an explanation. The outfeed table was temporarily installed to work on the motor access hole. I did not have the height of the table shimmed up, so the top of the motor actually protruded through the hole. I was busy sanding a piece of trim when I felt a bump under the sandpaper. I had sanded paint off the top corner of the motor.:-x I used a black felt pen to hide my sin for the photo shoot. And now you know the rest of the story!

Travis, I didn't keep track of how much it cost to build the table, but probably not as much as you think. The angle iron was purchased from a local surplus store (much cheaper than the Borg). A full sheet laminate for $20 from Craigslist. The pair of leg hinges were on clearance for $5. Adjustable feet cost $1.59 each at local ("have everything") hardware store. Miter T-Track from Western Tool Supply cost $16. The two leg-locking knobs are lawn mower handle replacements - $3.00. Hardwood legs and top edging is Alder donated by a friend. And a sheet of 5/8" particle board, the hardware.

-Don

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thanks Don for the info on the table sizes. So I guess you will not be coming to the NC barbecue?

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow! That looks fantastic! That makes my old outfeed table look like a kid built it! IMHO, adequate outfeed support is one of the most critical table saw upgrades. Letting the workpiece fall to the floor is just poor form, and a single roller stand is not much better. Having good support built-in lets you stay focused on safety around the blade. I highly recommend something like this to anyone who uses a table saw - it's hard to overstate how much better it is to have good outfeed support.

One thing I might mention to others who are thinking of making one of these - it's not really necessary to make the miter slots perfectly aligned with the table saw slots. All you really have to do is clear out some space so the guides on your sled and the T-bar on your miter gauge don't bump into the table. In fact, I would suggest making those slots as simple oversize dadoes with no T-tracks in them at all. That way, you don't have to worry about perfect alignment, not to mention whether it will stay in perfect alignment. Also, if you don't have T-tracks in those slots, you can simply lift your T-track bar straight straight up off the table as the washer clears the back of the table saw, instead of having to slide it all the way back out the front.

I'm not being critical - just thought I would point that out as a consideration for others who might make one of these. Well done!!!

Ralrick

New User
Rick
That table is a thing of beauty to me since I have the Powermatic 64A as well. I definately will be copying the design as one of my next projects now that the weather will start to cool here in NC. I like the way you accomadated the motor tilt - I have an assembly table that I had wanted to fit up as an outfeed and didn't know how to get around the motor. Your design and build look great.

Thanks for sharing it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!! That's very well done - please take a bow! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Great attention to detail.

Chuck

KC7CN

New User
Don
Updated - Added Support Legs

The right side of the tablesaw needed additional support for stability.

The additional weight from the right-side extension table, tool accessory draw, and Outfeed table is a little to much for the three-wheel mobile base.

I decided it was time to resolve this problem when the saw started to tip over into my scrap wood box. I discovered the mobile base was not installed for optimum support. The single wheel was on the left side -- it should be on the right! I also bolted the left legs to the mobile base. This change moves the fulcrum point further to the right.

The new support legs really add a lot of stability. They are designed to swing out of the way when you want to move the saw.

-Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS