Power Tool Gloat~! & how to change the head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Merry Christmas NCWW's,

I just wanted to make it official: I got the G0490, it's a monster~! :gar-Bi
Got the G0490 before I got the Shelix cutterhead? :banana: But how in the heck do I change it out?

Here are some pictures of it getting put together/Cleaned up. PS WD40 works like a champ to get the cosmoline off~! :gar-Bi

Is the foot that raises the jointer supposed to be bent/twisted?

Is this ok? a hole in the pulley for the belt?

Getting ready to put the shelix head on

Got the front part off and the two bolts out that hold the head it, not sure if I need to take the back two out or what I need to do to change it out to the shelix cutterhead? :icon_scra :help:

When I first installed the fence it was right on 90 degrees, but the fence was sliding on the bed and marring it up. :eusa_doh: So I adjust the part that attaches to the back of the machine up a little and now the 90 degree is way off. I adjusted the fence 90 degree stop, and it it is dead on when it is towards the back of the bed, but off when it is closer to the front of the bed??? :BangHead: :help:

Other than not knowing how to fully make the machine perfect, I love it~! The beds are nice and long and it sure has some power wow~! I think I need to tighten the belt a little more though as it wobbles a little.

Wish I had a few NCWW folk around to give me a hand with this~! :eek:ccasion1

Thanks for looking a commenting

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Matthew,

You have to remove all the bolts as the head has to be lifted up out of the cavity. The foot lift lever should not be bent, ask for a replacement. As for the hole in the pully, I think I would ask for a replacement. This is a lifetime tool, don't need to start out with faulty parts. JMHO I have the Shop Fox model which is just like yours. You may have to get a bearing puller to remove the bearings from the blade head. If so, be careful and you should be able to reuse them. But if they get damaged, they are readily available and don't cost that much.

You will really enjoy the shelix, especially on figured wood.

Enjoy

Mike

DWSmith

New User
David
The foot which raises the jointer should not be bent. The pulley should not have a hole in it. Call Grizzly to get both replaced. Speak with their tech dept about the fence problem. Sounds tough.

Don't over tighten the belt. You could cause some bearing problems with the motor down the road. Follow the set up instructions the remove the belt slap.

BTW For about $300 more you could have gotten the spiral head model and not have to go through the hassle of changing out the head with the straight blades.

I have one with the spiral head and it is a bear. (Pun intended!) Blade changes are quick and easy as compared to the old straight blade model I had, the power is terrific and the adjustments are easy and accurate.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
You seem to have the worst luck with new machinery...

Seems that way sometimes Mike, I didn't even show you the bottom, where it looked like the wheels and rubber feet had been used, and the frame ran along the floor.

I thought since it's gonna be on the floor, oh well I guess?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew,

You have to remove all the bolts as the head has to be lifted up out of the cavity. The foot lift lever should not be bent, ask for a replacement. As for the hole in the pully, I think I would ask for a replacement. This is a lifetime tool, don't need to start out with faulty parts. JMHO I have the Shop Fox model which is just like yours. You may have to get a bearing puller to remove the bearings from the blade head. If so, be careful and you should be able to reuse them. But if they get damaged, they are readily available and don't cost that much.

You will really enjoy the shelix, especially on figured wood.

Enjoy

Mike

Thanks Mike,

So I am guessing when you say I have to take all the bolts out, that you mean I need to take out the rear bearing pillow block? Now I wish I would have just bought a couple bearings for the Shelix cutterhead, don't want to pull the bearing off and slip and slice my hand on these super sharp blades~! :no: Already sliced the tip of my finger cleaning up the blades, and even after I read that another NCWW sliced his hand through the shop rag. :eusa_doh:

I will give Grizzly a call and get some replacements, I thought it wasn't right, but wasn't too sure. Glad I asked.

Thanks Mike..... Gonna try to figure this out... PS do I have to lower each bed to get the head out?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks Mike,

So I am guessing when you say I have to take all the bolts out, that you mean I need to take out the rear bearing pillow block? Now I wish I would have just bought a couple bearings for the Shelix cutterhead, don't want to pull the bearing off and slip and slice my hand on these super sharp blades~! :no: Already sliced the tip of my finger cleaning up the blades, and even after I read that another NCWW sliced his hand through the shop rag. :eusa_doh:

I will give Grizzly a call and get some replacements, I thought it wasn't right, but wasn't too sure. Glad I asked.

Thanks Mike..... Gonna try to figure this out... PS do I have to lower each bed to get the head out?

Yes. You may also have to back out the stop bolt on the outfeed side in order to get the bed to lower far enough. Just remember to screw it back in when you finish.

Mike

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Yes. You may also have to back out the stop bolt on the outfeed side in order to get the bed to lower far enough. Just remember to screw it back in when you finish.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Got it lowered, and barley moved the set nut so it should be close to the same when put back together.

I got the cutterhead out with the pillow blocks attached to the cutterhead, Now how in the heck do I get the pillow blocks off? I have tried using two screw drivers to try to pry it off, not working??? :eusa_doh: :BangHead:

PS This Jointer came out of Washington state, maybe that's why theres a little bit of poor workmanship???

DavidD

New User
David
I got the cutterhead out with the pillow blocks attached to the cutterhead, Now how in the heck do I get the pillow blocks off? I have tried using two screw drivers to try to pry it off, not working??? :eusa_doh: :BangHead:

Congrats on your new toyl!

I used a three jaw puller that I got from HF (I had to grind down the teeth in order for them to be able to fit in between the head and the bearing) to get the pillow blocks off when I did this operation. I hope that you didn't loose any of the shims that may have been under the pillow blocks.:wsmile:

Good luck getting it finished. It's worth the effort. Wouldn't you just love to swap the heads back and forth? :gar-La;

By the way, the beds on your planer look a whole lot nicer than the one I got - it's got stains all over it. Looked like it had been sitting for a long time (the cosmoline, or what ever the heck they use, had even started drying out), but it doesn't seem to be rust and is perfectly smooth, so I live with it. Maybe one day I'll try to polish it out?

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The foot which raises the jointer should not be bent. The pulley should not have a hole in it. Call Grizzly to get both replaced. Speak with their tech dept about the fence problem. Sounds tough.

Don't over tighten the belt. You could cause some bearing problems with the motor down the road. Follow the set up instructions the remove the belt slap.

BTW For about $300 more you could have gotten the spiral head model and not have to go through the hassle of changing out the head with the straight blades.

I have one with the spiral head and it is a bear. (Pun intended!) Blade changes are quick and easy as compared to the old straight blade model I had, the power is terrific and the adjustments are easy and accurate.

David,

The reason I didn't go with the spiral head is because it is like the blades and does a chopping cut. I wanted the shelix cutterhead as it has a slicing cut, because the blades are on an angle and the blade itself is slightly rounded.

As for the cutter head I got it out of both pillow blocks and one of the bearings stayed in the pillow block due to a lock ring. Now just to get the other bearing off without ruining it.

Here are some pictures:

This is how I got it loose from the pillow blocks, but this site has a better way: http://flairwoodworks.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/installing-a-shelix-cutter-head/

Now to just get this bearing off??? Arrgh :eusa_doh:

DWSmith

New User
David
One tip with this jointer, the chip chute is open in the stand. Consider closing it off with something so the dust collector will give more suction to the cutter head and not be lost to the stand. I used metal foil tape wrapped over the top of the chute and it worked better with much less chance for clogging.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

before slicing all your fingers why not remove the knives?:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS